Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_ont

how close is too close? (pic)

chris_ont
16 years ago

Hi

I had more tubers than space (new garden) so I gave quite a few away and planted what I could.

They were given to me last year and I have no idea what sort they are, I just know they bloom red. All came up very well and look healthy.

But now I wonder if I planted them too close. I do want them where they are to block the view of a nearby air conditioner, but I wonder if these are too close to be healthy.

If these are too close, can I still move them? Also, some of these, like the one center left, have several shoots per tuber which I did not separate because there didn't seem to be natural divisions to make that very easy. Is this normal or should I cut some of them away?

{{gwi:533333}}

Comments (13)

• bearstate
    16 years ago

Chris,

I've answered a few people's questions in this forum by pointing out that Canna are related to Gingers, Heliconias, Bananas and in particular, Strelitzia or Bird of Paradise. They even look a lot like the Orange Bird of Paradise in terms of leaf and stem structure and seeds look identical except Strelitzia Renginae seeds have orange feathery tufts on them. Canna are NOT true lillies and do not belong to the Lilly family.

Both Canna and Streletzia are perfectly comfortable clumping close together and therefore, it is a matter of taste how much space you give them. Eventually, they will fill in the gaps between them naturally and you'll need to thin them out again. I do this with my Strelitzia Reginae now to spread them all over the property. Right now, I inherited a small group of them in one area and have spread them by division to other areas on the property.

When my Canna get going, I'll do the same with them.

• chris_ont
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, very good (and welcome!) information. I'll let them do their thing and see how things look like when they're bigger. I'm glad to hear that they are not aversely affected by close quarters.

C.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    16 years ago

They'll be fine. The good news is you get to dig them up this fall, so if you think they look to close space them out next spring.

• bearstate
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of the original clump of Strelitzia Reginae ( Orange Bird of Paradise ) from which I sourced by division, enough chunks of rhizome to spread the plants further around the property ...

{{gwi:533336}}

Notice how similar Strelitzia looks compared to Canna?

The orignal source of my rhizomes had been beaten down by the big January Freeze, that just occured this past winter, but they all came back. They probably won't flower again for a couple years as Bird of Paradise need time to mature before flowering.

The following garden strip contains, European Fan Palms, Cycads, Australian Tree Ferns, Cut Leaf Philodendrons, California Poppies and Strelitzia transplants from that original source. The most recent additions, just yesterday, are Douglas Iris along the front edge - another clumping plant with rhizomes.

{{gwi:533338}}

;)

• bearstate
    16 years ago

I'm laughing at myself. I suddenly have the feeling that my Strelitzia aren't Strelitzia. They look so much like Canna that I think that I've mis-identified what I inherited here and they ARE Canna. Well one or two are about to flower and that'll settle any doubt. But the pics I'm seeing on the web of Strelitzia Reginae don't look like what I got here.

Ha. Ha. What a dumb futz I may well be.

• southlatropical
    16 years ago

chris ont, your cannas look like musafolia aka "banana canna". I have these cannas, but mine have red on the rib up the center of the leaves. They also make clusters of small red flowers that attract hummingbirds. I let mine form a huge clump over about 5 yrs with no problems.

• ornata
    16 years ago

Strelitzia leaves are arranged in a different way. This picture demonstrates it very clearly:
    http://photodatabase.une.edu.au/albums/incoming/2006/ABSTRACTS/normal_Strelitzia%20reginae.JPG

• bearstate
    16 years ago

Sometimes, being naive forgives being a dump futz. It is all new to me this backyard botanist stuff. Don't know how I got to beleing those were Strelitzia. I guess they look enough alike that when I saw them at the local home improvement store 'Home Depot', the similarity and my desire to believe I had one overrode distinction.

Even better, I do have Strelitzia Nikolai, the Giant or White Bird of Paradise.

So OK, I went out and bought a Strelitzia Reginae to make sure I had one and that I would never again mistake Canna for Strelitzia, even if they are in the same family.

What kind of Canna do I have?

Don't know yet, but one is about to flower and the parts of the opening bud look yellow. I'll post pictures later when it gets fully bloomed.

• bearstate
    16 years ago

I promised a picture of the Canna Bloom and here we go ...

Pre Bloom:

{{gwi:533339}}

Pre Bloom Close-Up:

{{gwi:533340}}

Post Bloom:

{{gwi:533341}}

Post Bloom Close-Up:

{{gwi:533315}}

So, does anybody know what kind of Canna I have?

• bearstate
    16 years ago

And the answer is ...

Canna Flacida, the Golden or Yellow Canna

• ornata
    16 years ago

Pretty flowers - showy for a species Canna. I love the speckles. More info here:
    http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/37147/index.html

• bearstate
    16 years ago

More interesting still is that Canna Flacida is not a hybrid or garden Canna ( Canna x Generalis ) which comes in several varietals.

Canna Flacida is apparently a native Canna from the Southeast coastal areas of the USA, Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas.

• bearstate
    16 years ago

After a whole year of growing Canna and spreading them, I think I can provide a better answer to this question now.

I have observed that Canna bloom rather randomly, one plant blooming while another is not. They do not all bloom at once.

I imagine that if you plant your Canna by breaking them up and regimenting them separately, into some geometrical pattern, that it just won't look cohesive because of the randomness of each separate plant's blooming. Therefore, I have found even greater reason to prefer allowing Canna to clump thickly. The random blooms that appear in clumps stand a better chance of having separate clumps showing blooms continuously and the randomness of blooms on individual plants is lost in the overall presentation of clumps or clusters of Canna.

Mind you, that my current clumps of Canna are not yet thickly established and so, all through the season it has been odd to watch a bloom here, have it deteriorate, followed by another bloom somewhere else, in a rather haphazard fire-works like fashion. I personally, will strive to thicken up my Canna now so that each clump stands a chance of having continuous blooms all season long. And that means, letting the Canna grow thickly in groups and solid bars or lines along walls and fences.

I find Canna an good answer to a problem I wanted to solve earlier in the year, finding flowing plants that will grow in shade. Canna do well in shade and unlike many plants that need sunlight to flower, Canna will flower in Shade or Sun. But because of the randomness of their flowering, I think I'll try to supplement them with some other flowing plants that can find harmony growing in close proximity to the spreading rhizomes of Canna. In that way something is flowering virtually ALL THE TIME. I just don't know what that other flowering plant will be yet as it also, must do well in shade or part shade and be a ground cover type of thing.

IMHO

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz