Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I kill my cannas?

Posted by Joe1980 WI 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 18:42

Ok, I have two very large containers, 24" diameter and same in depth. In one, I planted a big elephant ear bulb, and the other, 3 canna bulbs. I used Al's 5-1-1 mix in both pots. I planted them a month ago, and kept them inside until temps stayed above 50 at night. There were a couple of mid to upper 40's night, but basically anything under 45 and they came in. However, it just dawned on my that I had forgotten to bring them in on a night were it hit 36 degrees. Anyway, my elephant ear is sprouted, and putting on an inch per day or so. My cannas, well, different story. I had one of the three sprout about 1" tall, but it disappeared. I dug into the soil to check it out, and all 3 are rotted. It dawned on me that the little sprout disappeared after the 36 degree night. The other 2 bulbs had no sign that they ever tried to sprout. Are they victims of cold weather?? Oh, and I only watered when I planted them, but nothing after that.

Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I kill my cannas?

36F might produce superficial ground frost sufficient to do in a tiny canna sprout, but it shouldn't cause healthy tubers to rot.

Cannas are tough plants thriving in areas that see considerable frost. I plant out tubers early enough in spring that they see a few nights dipping to 40 or below (hopefully my timing is such that sprouting above ground occurs a bit later) without damage.

A combination of soggy soil and cold nights might be conducive to rot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here