Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why did my Cannas rot?

Posted by L_RANKIN 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 20:38

For several years, I've had a canna garden that trived. last year, the cannas were significantly shorter than pervious years. This year, they didn't show. I dig up the sight and found no tubers. We always cut them down after the first frost and cover with pine needles. Any idea what happened to them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why did my Cannas rot?

With the information provided there are several possibilities.
Last years decreased vigor might be due to a change in the soil ph. Pine needles are great for the acid loving plants but over time will likely lower the soil ph that would result in poor growing conditions for cannas.
Have you thinned to canna bed over the past couple of years? If not, the cannas likely became too thick for the available resources.
Did your rhizomes freeze or was the winter ground saturated with water? Any of a number of things could contribute to the total loss of the rhizomes.

Kent

o
RE: Why did my Cannas rot?

could something have eaten them?

voles?

cannas were originally grown as a food source because of their high starch content. some animals might eat them if they came across the roots. moles might have chewed through them, but I think they are primarily carnivorous. my guess would be voles.

do you have a lot of sandy loose soil that attracts them?

if it is voles, you should be able to see their burrows if you dig deep enough... or at least their tunnels.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here