Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna Virus in the Soil?

Posted by nicolo 8b TX (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 16, 06 at 20:55

Last year, I had three divisions of a canna variety in a large planting bed that I suspected had yellow mottle virus. I still had not learned how to reliably tell the difference between natural or benign leaf discolorations and virus-related discolorations, but I dug them out and threw them away late in the summer just to be on the safe side. It did not appear as though other cannas in the bed were affected.

This spring, I planted some new seedlings in the bed, all of which were from the same source. Now I see that those in or near the spots where the diseased ones had been have symptoms of the virus. Those in other areas, including the new ones and ones remaining from last year have no sign of it so far.

Maybe it's just by chance that only these certain new ones are showing the mottled-leaf symptom. If not, it looks like the virus survived over the winter in the soil or in detached pieces of root or rhizome that got left behind. This might be something to think about if you plan to replace sick plants with healthy ones. Meanwhile, does anybody know how long the virus can remain viable in the soil or how contaminated soil can be sterilized?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna Virus in the Soil?

I was wondering how it would work out to replace some infected cannas with new ones in the same location. Maybe your experience is the answer to my question. Sorry I can't answer yours.

Good luck,
Darla

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here