Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID of this one???

Posted by roseyp8255 z8 AL (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 23, 05 at 21:04

Anyone know the name of this plant? A friend thought it was tropicanna - but the foliage doesn't look like mine - nor like what is in the catalogs....

Here is a link that might be useful: Precious Canna aka unknown

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID of this one???

It does look like Tropicanna. The leaf variegation can vary from garden to garden, or even within the same yard but in different parts of the yard. Soil and water conditions as well as amount of light can have something to do with the coloring of the leaves. If it blooms orange, it's Tropicanna. It it blooms pink, it's Pink Sunrise, which is a rare one. If it blooms red, it's Durban.

Dixie

o
Oooops!

Sorry, I mis-spoke. I meant Pink Sunburst, not Pink Sunrise.

Dixie

o

Thanks Dixie - we have been QUITE perplexed over this - i was puzzled b/c the foliage on hers looks PURPLE (with stripes of course) and mine looks brown - could this be b/c hers are in part shade?
She thinks it blooms orange - but not sure. This is actually over at a friend's daughter's house....

o

Ironically, I have a couple coming up that look almost like that. They were in a pre-packaged bag of "The President" that I got from a local nursery. The foliage has that darker wine-purple leaf color that was very different from the green of President. I do hope they are one of the ones mentioned. That would be a cool addition.

o

My Tropicannas here, usually come up early in the season with the same colour as your pic, and later in the season as they're getting bigger they change into what they are supposed to be.
Dariot Jr

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here