Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WalMart Wrong Canna

Posted by mimicubed z7SC (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 9, 06 at 21:53

I bought three packages of canna rhizomes from WalMart this spring -- Rosemond Coles; hasn't bloomed yet. Picasso; hasn't bloomed yet. And Madame Butterfly which is supposed to be a soft peachy pink. Well, it has bloomed and is the most dark electric pink flower in my garden. It's pretty, but it is not Madame Butterfly. It will be interesting to see how Rosemond Coles and Picasso turn out. To be sure you are getting the canna that you want -- only buy cannas that are blooming, not rhizomes in a bag.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WalMart Wrong Canna

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 10, 06 at 14:20

Amen to that! I couldn't agree more that you really take a chance. Heaven only knows what kind of cannas I got this year there ( because the pictures were nice and the price was right ). I do know that they are rather stunted compared to the others I have, and potted up at the same time.

I also picked up some dahlias there. They looked beautiful, but NONE of them are doing well compared to the ones I kept over and planted at the same time. I believe that at least 4 of them are compost now. My wife keeps saying, "I told you so.....".

o
RE: WalMart Wrong Canna

If you want named plants, don't buy from Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Every one I've ever gotten was named wrong. Lucifer canna I bought turned out to be Pink Beauty. The Catherine Woodbury daylily I bought turned out to be Rose Emily (which is actually much prettier, so I'm happy with that one.).

If you want named plants, buy from a reputable grower so you get what you pay for.

For Rosemond Cole and Mme Butterfly, try www.cannas.net. They're sold out for this year, last I heard, but they're taking orders for next year.

Karchesky Cannas probably has your Picasso.

NancyAnn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here