Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephaniecay

Unknown Yellow

stephanie_kay
14 years ago

I recently bought a canna with no tag or name, the buds are a pretty yellow and I was thrilled because that is what I had wanted but when it opens it is so pale it is almost a white and it burns real easily. It has little raspberry red drops on it's throat. Does anyone know the name of this one and should I move it to a more sheltered spot from the sun or will it burn there too?

{{gwi:533449}} {{gwi:533450}}

Other side, you can see a touch more of the yellow.

{{gwi:533452}}

Comments (11)

• malcolm_canna
    14 years ago

Hi,
    If this Canna is quite short, as in dwarf, it looks like what is known as Canna 'Tropical White'.
    Or, it could be a number of varieties. Canna 'Alaska' , Canna 'Ambassadour', Canna 'Ermine' it depends on the height, and the foliage, flowering is also still in it's early stage, the shape and size may change.
    Post some more pic's when the plant has matured a bit. I should be able to give a more realistic answer then.
    Regards.
    Malcolm.

• stephanie_kay
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Malcolm, I looked up c.Tropical White and it sure looks and sounds like what I have. Mine is a dwarf, standing at just 15 inches right now. That is to the top of the flower.

Is there anything I can do to keep the flowers from burning? I give it plenty of water and our humidity has really been high 70% or more most days. But the temps have been in the mid to high 90's too.

Will post up dated photos as it matures.

Stephanie

• canna2grow
    14 years ago

Stephanie,
    In addition to MalcolmÂs suggestions, one other possibility is a newer cream cultivar named C. ÂVanilla IceÂ. You are likely to find few photos to this cultivar. You might check HornÂs Canna Farm web page. I have a number of photos but have not published any on the web.
    The pale red streak on the labellum is typical.
    The burn depicted is quite common in our white or cream cannas and is simply a result of the aging process. All cannas show this symptom but the white color tends to make it more obvious. Unless shade delays the aging process, you will not likely see much improvement.
    Did you purchase this as a rhizome or as a potted plant?
    Good to see Malcolm posting here!
    Regards,
    Kent

• stephanie_kay
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Kent,
    It may be Vanilla Ice, but I am leaning more towards tropical white from the photos I have seen on line. If I were to choose between the two.
    I got it as a potted 4 inch plant where I work at. They do a bag of dwarf assortments so till it blooms you really do not know what you are getting.

Will post more pictures when it gets more blooms.

Stephanie

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    14 years ago

hey all-

how about Canna Ermine? I just checked my plant and photo- looks a lot like that one.

Boca Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Boca Cay Canna Ermine

• abutilon
    14 years ago

Your proximity of the siding behind your canna and heat is possibly lending to causing the bloom age faster.
    Into later summer, your "white" will bloom beautifully, so don't be discouraged by burn now.
    Your foliage looks very healthy, too. All good :-)

• stephanie_kay
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boca Joe, your Ermine does look like it but from what I read gets taller and mine is a dwarf. Only time will tell for sure. Your photos are beautiful.

Abutilon, you may be right, I finally moved them from the house. Not for your reason's but because I did not want white with having a white house. I have them out further from the house now. So maybe they will come in nice instead of turning brown the same day they open. I sure hope so.

Stephanie

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

Yes, its looks like a Canna Ermine. I have seen a yellow cann from ebay. I will post the link here. Have you tried putting your canna in a more shaded area? And see what is the difference with its blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: yellow canna

• stephanie_kay
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gardenlover25, the yellow canna on ebay is way more yellow then mine is.
    Right now I have no flowers stalks coming up. Hopefully soon though.
    Once I get more flowers I will post another photo or two to see if we can pin point what it is.
    Everyone here is so... helpful.

Stephanie

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    14 years ago

Stephanie-

don't forget , the height of your canna now and later in the season are 2 different things. My Ermine is about 2-3' high now.

I have not seen canna bloom color vary much , sun , shade, hot , cool- seem pretty consistent to me.

Keep the old bloom stalks picked off and once that whole STEM is done, cut it off at the ground, more will emerge all season.

Boca Joe

• stephanie_kay
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boca Joe,

Though I do not know the name of the canna I bought it was sold as a dwarf, which I understand is under 3 foot and Ermine is listed as a medium size.
    Also mine have been growing since Jan. in a greenhouse. So it may not get much bigger. Though I hope it does get at least a bit taller.

Stephanie

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?