Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cannas being dug up

Posted by paclockman zone 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 22:03

Something is constantly digging up my canna tubers. We are in a country setting and have all types of wildlife around. A day or two after planting the canna tubers they are nicely dug up from the ground. They aren't eaten or even nibbled on, just dug up. Two questions...1) What would be doing this? and 2) How do I prevent it from happening? I've tried bitter apple spray and deer spray, both of which did nothing!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cannas being dug up

Could it be a critter looking for grubs or other soil insects, just taking advantage of the loose dirt?

o

Same thing happens to me. Ground squirrels here. I didn't have a big problem this spring, but last year, they wouldn't leave them alone! I bought some stuff that you sprinkle on the soil that's supposed to deter them, and rabbits, moles, etc etc...and it seemed to help them get established and large enough that they weren't dug up anymore. It annoyed me SO bad last year...

o

I wonder if chicken wire placed over them would help until they sprout. You could weigh down the wire with a brick or rock.

Barbara in Virginia

o

Try one of those plastic owls you move every couple of days, it has helped mine, you can get them at Wal-mart that have a head that moves with the wind for under 20.00. You can also try the blow up snakes and keep them in there, I don't like the snakes cause it would give ME a heart attack and not the critters.
sharon
zone 7

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 15:43

Most likely skunks or possum looking for grubs and worms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here