Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Canna survive in pots?

Posted by smokedbyremy Sunset Z18, SoCal (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 22:12

I have one Canna (Tropicanna) that I bought at Home Depot about two years ago. It is still in its orig plastic pot in my yard. It has never bloomed since I purchased with flowers on it.

The plant gets many rolls but they do not produce anything. The soil is extremely fast draining, and I may not have watered as often as the plant would have liked (in fact the soil has prob been left to dry out often). Could this be a big factor, and should I balance the soil to be a bit less quick draining?

I would like to have the plant in a large pot on my patio in the future. I dont believe the plant is root bound, and it does not appear to have any disease. Rolls come out looking very well. They just don't ever flower and eventually dry up.

Thanks.

Remy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Canna survive in pots?

The first thing I would do is transplant it, 2 years in the same size pot is stunting its growth. I have 2 cannas in large pots and I water them every morning.

o

Thank you Christine.

Remy

o

I live in London and we have frosts and snow in the winter. Should I bring my cannas in their pots indoors, or would that be too warm?
Or should I remove the corms and store them in the shed?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here