Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Florence Vaughan' or 'Roma'?

Posted by fairfield8619 8 N La. (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 23:18

Who knows? These have been growing at my inlaws for at least 30 yrs, no care either. I can't tell from Googling, they look very similar to me. Leaves are on short stalks- not the like the Phaison I have. Blooms are very flat.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Florence Vaughan' or 'Roma'?

If you are asking the valid name for the pictured canna it is C. 'Roma'. Like many canna cultivars the valid name has be changed by unknowing growers or catalogers over the past 100 years. The pictured cultivar was introduced around 1895 by C. Sprenger of Dammann & Co. in Europe. At that time, Mr. Sprenger was one of the first (along with L. Burbank-California) to successfully use the canna specie flaccida as a pollen parent to cross with the Crozy introductions of that time. The cultivar Florence Vaughan was a yellow bloom with red spotting (dots) and was confused with the cultivar Roma. Through out the mid to late 20th century Roma was marketed as Florence Vaughan. In the later part of the 20th century Roma has been sold as Yellow King Humbert (which is also not valid). We now have several synonyms that have replaced the valid cultivar name in the US for many cultivars.
If you are not confused yet, do a search for C. Italia. You will find it is a near match for Canna Roma. Both of which were introduced by Sprenger.

Regards,
Kent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here