Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southlatropical

canna wyoming

southlatropical
16 years ago

I have read conflicting information on the web in regards to Wyoming canna. Some sites say it grows between 3 and 6 feet tall. And others say between 8 and 10 feet tall. Which is it? I live in south Louisiana. My red russian canna has grown to about 7 feet tall this year after being planted in April. How tall should I expect Wyoming canna to grow down here?

Comments (9)

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    16 years ago

My wyoming only gets to 3-4 feet tall.

• west_texas_peg
    16 years ago

I have Canna Wyoming (green foliage) growing in my garden; it is at least 6 feet tall. This is the first year it has been this tall and I believe it is because we moved it from partial shade to full sun AND Texas has had LOTS of rain this year PLUS our cannas were moved to an area over 2005 compost pile. All of our cannas are taller with larger leaves with intense color in foliage and flowers since we moved them last fall and they are producing large seeds this year! Think they are telling me they are happy :)

Happy Gardening!
    Peggy

• vintagegardener
    16 years ago

Here in oklahoma my cannas are blooming.I have wyoming and mine grow between 6-8 feet.They are in full sun and well watered.The rule of thumb for cannas is the more you water the more they grow.They are water loving plants.

• southlatropical
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the help.

• filix
    16 years ago

The rule of thumb for cannas is the more you water the more they grow. That is so true. I have some growing in large containers. I fill five gallon buckets up with water and drown them three or four times. They seem to grow a foot the next day. My wyoming is only around two feet "late start" and starting to bloom. So far my omega is the tallest. About eight feet.

• lynn_d
    16 years ago

For the second season in a row I have all my cannas (all potted) sitting in oversized saucers with at least a 2" depth that I keep full of water. They have never looked better! Everyone that sees them remarks about how much healthier mine appear to be.

My only concern this year is that they have yet to start to bloom do you think I should up the fertilizer?

I am so excited, I just got Pretoria and Musafolia from Karchesky last week! These plants are very addictive!

• filix
    16 years ago

all of mine are in bloom. But I started them "except the wyoming" march 15th in a cold frame. Try a bloom boost"high middle number" fertilizer. filix

• pkmaven
    16 years ago

Canna Wyoming is a real heirloom canna ove 100 years old in the U.S. It has geen leaves with dark red veins and mine grows to about 6 ft. tall. It is not a member of the giant canna family but I have seen them planted in bunches in a large long garden where they were much taller. I would have to conclude that the quality of soil and fertilizer contribute to the overall height of this plant.

• Central_Cali369
    16 years ago

After i cut them back in late winter (Jan/Feb) The first wyoming to bloom in March/April are only 3-4 feet tall, but as new ones grow, they must grow taller than the previous ones to reach sunlight and the ones blooming around Dec/Jan tend to be much taller (5-7 feet tall). Hope this helps

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio