Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cannas 2 feet tall in Chicago

Posted by jen_z5 z5 IL (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 05 at 0:16

My mom gave me 5 tubers of cannas of unknown variety which I planted in May with the rest of my perennials. They just sat there doing nothing until the heat hit early in June. They are still only about 2 feet tall. Is this normal in this zone? When do they flower? Any info would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cannas 2 feet tall in Chicago

Mine are about that tall as well. Depending on the variety, they can grow between 2' - 7'or 8' tall in Chicago. Have you seen the ones grown in the middle of Jackson Bd. just east of Michigan? I haven't down that way this year, but in the past, there normally were very tall cannas with striped leaves.

o

I have seen them in Grant Park and they were tall but I can't remember what month that was. My mom says the ones she gave me get 5-6 ft tall but I thought they would be reaching that height about now. We'll have to wait and see. Thanks.

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 18, 05 at 13:37

I'm in Ohio. My canna's are all growing at different rates. I don't know what causes this. The ones on the west side of my garage only get sun after 2, so I understand why they are slower. I have 4 plants in one bed and they are all different size.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Start in the middle of the pic. The big one behind the elephant ear is over 4 feet tall. Move to the right and they all get smaller. They all get the same sun, water, and compost. I have one to the left of the big one that isn't in the pic, and it is also smaller. It's almost like the elephant ear is feeding the canna. I don't believe it's a giant legume.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here