Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ornata

Canna from seed - it IS worth doing!

ornata
17 years ago

I've seen a few posts about how it's not worth growing canna from saved seed, as the offspring can be variable, often disappointing, and it's easier just to divide rhizomes. Well, all that might be true, but it's also true that growing canna from saved seed is easy, exciting and often rewarding. The seed of Canna 'Picasso' that I sowed in March is already flowering, and it seems to be fairly true to the flower of the parent plant (except the whole plant is only about a foot tall!). I'll be collecting all the viable seed from this year's large-flowering varieties and sowing it next spring. For me it's part of the thrill of gardening, sowing collected seed from different plants and not always knowing what you'll end up with.

Comments (7)

• jenna1
    17 years ago

I agree! If I want something that is exact I'll dig and divide rhizomes. But I love to see what I'll get by growing from seed. I have a gorgeous sun gold colored canna that the original seed came from an Omega. It has the heighth of the Omega. The hummers are quite attracted to it and it's offspring.

And I can't tell you how many variations I've gotten from Journey's End.

Admittedly I have had some cannas that didn't come true that I didn't like. But I just yanked them out and tossed them. I had one that had varigated foliage and a lovely pink flower (similar to the above canna flower) that when started from seed only gave me green foliage and is shorter. But it does make for a great potted canna. Ditto for a salmon canna where the original plant was 3 to 4 feet tall, but the ones from seed are only about 1' tall. I love it!!

For the most part I really enjoy waiting and seeing what I'm going to get. Unfortunately, with all the cannas that I have, I'm starting to run out of room in my gardens.

Jenna

• whte_mountian_witch
    17 years ago

it is fun to seewhat you will end up with. since many cannas are hybreds you end up with parent plants or if they cross pollinated you can end up with a new variety. I like to cross pollinate them myself just to see what i will get.

• mdalebo
    17 years ago

Although the C. 'Picasso' seedling only grew to 1 foot this year, do not be decieved. Next year it will grow to 1 metre. Seedlings in their first year very rarel;y fulfill their potential, they just give glimpses of what they will achieve. That is why you should never name a seedling after its first year, Wait until it has fulfilled its potential as a growing plant in it's second year.

Regards,
    Malcolm

• peatpod
    17 years ago

Oh boy oh boy ... I couldnt agree with you more.
    Here are some of this years babies ...
    {{gwi:533683}}

{{gwi:533684}}

{{gwi:533686}}

{{gwi:533688}}

• rachelv
    17 years ago

Hello,
    My mom and I just added canna to our gardens this year. And we love it! We are looking at ways to get different colors/ varities. I think that getting seeds/ starting from seeds may be an inexpensive way for us to start out. We've noticed a seed in the flower (is this the portion that you plant?) Do you need to let it dry first? When do you pick the seed? Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

• romando
    17 years ago

Peatpod: I am so amazed at your photos! I especially like the spidery yellow one! Do you have any more of the seeds that produced that one? I would love a canna like that...

Amanda 'romando'

• peatpod
    17 years ago

Hi Armanda
    That seedling is at my friends home and for the life of me I am not sure how that was created. I will be going over to his place tomorrow and will check to see if it has produced any seed .. but as it will be open air pollenated it will be hit and miss as to what you might get from a seed.

Laura

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES