Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty527

Out of control Cannas

patty527
17 years ago

Help! My yard is being taken over by the cannas I planted 2 years ago. I know now that I should have contained them with a barrier. I am trying to get rid of the ones that I have not relocated and they refuse to leave! :) Is there any way to get rid of the huge root systems? I have dug them, broke them back all year, all I know to do, still they grow. They are beautiful but I do like my other plants too. :)

Thanks,

Patty

Comments (12)

• annzgw
    17 years ago

You could dig up the whole root system , then plant only one rhizome back in the area or, dig it up and place a nice pot in the flower bed and plant the canna in it.

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I've dug orange canna out of the same bed for over 16 years now. Can't kill the suckers.
    Good luck!
    Tally HO!

• patty527
    Original Author
    17 years ago

16 years!?! I guess this will be either a long battle or a surrender. Thanks!

• aquarius1974
    17 years ago

I have seen them cut to the ground and then burned with a bonfire over top. That killed MOST of them but a few did come back.

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

With bamboo, some people recommend mowing down all new growth for at least a couple of seasons. No photosynthesis = eventual death. Also, you might want to follow-up repeated mowings with a few layers of newspaper and some black plastic for awhile and see what happens. If it works with boo, it should work with cannas. Good luck!

• roxannemoskal
    17 years ago

Why not dig them up and trade for something else you want??
    Roxanne

• nancy1fl
    17 years ago

Please....Don't kill them all!!!! I will send you postage for as many as you want to send me. I had lost so many due to hurricane flooding last year and have still not been able to afford to replace. I really would love to hear from you and see how many you want to send me so I can get money out to you asap.
    nancy1fl@yahoo.com

• watchinemgrow
    17 years ago

If you have not destroyed them all yet, please contact me. I would love to have as many as possible. I am just starting here on a new place but have had good luck with my Bengal tiger cannas and would consider trading some. If not interested I will pay posting costs for yours. thanks
    sissy5462000@yahoo.com

• sondra_tn
    17 years ago

What kind of canna's do you have? I would be interested in paying for shipping or whatever as well... :))

plmk,
    Sondra

• ldeardorff50
    17 years ago

I will also pay as much as you want for shipping,if you or anyone could send me some cannas.I have been looking for several years now and cannot find any anywhere,Please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Lynn

• boopug
    17 years ago

Gee I wish I had that problem. I lost several before they could multiply. They rotted in the ground, I didn`t think I needed to mulch or store for winter in this zone(near Roswell New mexico.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH