Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Out of control Cannas

Posted by patty527 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 18, 06 at 6:56

Help! My yard is being taken over by the cannas I planted 2 years ago. I know now that I should have contained them with a barrier. I am trying to get rid of the ones that I have not relocated and they refuse to leave! :) Is there any way to get rid of the huge root systems? I have dug them, broke them back all year, all I know to do, still they grow. They are beautiful but I do like my other plants too. :)
Thanks,
Patty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Out of control Cannas

• Posted by annz PNW (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 18, 06 at 12:28

You could dig up the whole root system , then plant only one rhizome back in the area or, dig it up and place a nice pot in the flower bed and plant the canna in it.

o

Thanks annz. I have taken a few of them and sunk them in a very large container in ground. As for digging up the root system, I took a tiller to a very deep level and sifted and dug all the rhizomes I could find. They must be able to survive from just a tiny piece. They even seem thicker this year. Is there a brush/bush control that would work to the rhizome level on these anyone?

o

I've dug orange canna out of the same bed for over 16 years now. Can't kill the suckers.
Good luck!
Tally HO!

o

16 years!?! I guess this will be either a long battle or a surrender. Thanks!

o

I have seen them cut to the ground and then burned with a bonfire over top. That killed MOST of them but a few did come back.

o

With bamboo, some people recommend mowing down all new growth for at least a couple of seasons. No photosynthesis = eventual death. Also, you might want to follow-up repeated mowings with a few layers of newspaper and some black plastic for awhile and see what happens. If it works with boo, it should work with cannas. Good luck!

o

Why not dig them up and trade for something else you want??
Roxanne

o

Please....Don't kill them all!!!! I will send you postage for as many as you want to send me. I had lost so many due to hurricane flooding last year and have still not been able to afford to replace. I really would love to hear from you and see how many you want to send me so I can get money out to you asap.
nancy1fl@yahoo.com

o

If you have not destroyed them all yet, please contact me. I would love to have as many as possible. I am just starting here on a new place but have had good luck with my Bengal tiger cannas and would consider trading some. If not interested I will pay posting costs for yours. thanks
sissy5462000@yahoo.com

o

What kind of canna's do you have? I would be interested in paying for shipping or whatever as well... :))

plmk,
Sondra

o

I will also pay as much as you want for shipping,if you or anyone could send me some cannas.I have been looking for several years now and cannot find any anywhere,Please let me know.
Thanks,
Lynn

o

Gee I wish I had that problem. I lost several before they could multiply. They rotted in the ground, I didn`t think I needed to mulch or store for winter in this zone(near Roswell New mexico.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here