Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bengal Tiger, canna virus (photos)

Posted by stephanie_kay 5a IL (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 29, 09 at 7:19

I just got a piece of Bengal Tiger given to me and after I planted it last evening I started thinking it looked like it might have a canna virus. I hate the thought of tossing it but I have my other canna to think of.
Stephanie

100_1055 copy 100_1057 copy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bengal Tiger, canna virus (photos)

You said it was given to you. Any new plant I usually plant in an area that I use as a holding area.

Cannas... you could put it in a pot with good soil water it with 1 tablespoon of epsom salt in a gallon of water and see how the plant performs. It could just be stressed from being dug up or being grown in a over crowed condition.

I think we panic far to much and destroy plants when it might not be necessary. JMHO.

o

Marquest,

They are in the ground but away from my other canna's a bit.

Though I only got them yesterday, they looked like this before I dug them out and the other ones look the same. Not all the leaves look bad. But I remember last year that they looked kind of bad and I wondered at that time if they may have a virus.

Perhaps they just have a few odd looking leaves.

o

I was just saying looking bad could be bad treatment. If cannas do not get enough moisture, grown in good soil or fertilized the leaves look bad.

I did not want to give you the impression that I would rule out that they are virused but maybe they needed some extra care.

o

That is why I was wondering, because I know they come from where they do get full sun, watered every day, great soil. They are in a different spot from last year but I still worry that it maybe a virus. Though they are given good care, I do not know if they know enough about canna virus or pay enough attention to know that the canna may have it. Does that make since.

I did not take offense to your first answer I was just sharing more info with you and anyone else that may answer.
As much as I like them I have other canna growing and do not want to infect them if this is a virus.

Stephanie

o

Important note-
Most of the Canna's viruses are not moving from plant to plant by insects, but by unclean knives when you propagate it vegetatively.
There's no need to dig it off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here