Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peaches N'Cream seeds

Posted by passion_for_flowers 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 07 at 7:45

I recently started five Peaches N'Cream from seed. 2 have started coming up. One of them has green leaves and the other looks like what is going to be a red leaf. I collected them myself so I know they came from the same plant. Is the reason they are different because I don't know what they were pollineted with? If so will this also effect the color of the flowers? Would the green leaf one be like the parent that I got the seed from and the red one like the parent it got the color from? I have more questions but will leave it at the few I asked for now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peaches N'Cream seeds

I have the same question. I planted Dawn Pink seeds and have one seedling that is green leafed and 2 that have coppery colored leaves (just love the color!).

Peggy

o

Maybe someone will read this and answer my question for both of us. I like the color on mine too. Can't wait for it to get big enough to flower. I wish I had planted them a lot earlier.

o

Hi! Your post was awhile ago & I don't know if you'll get this or had other answers, but I think you'll find this is correct:
NO plants grown from seed can be GUARANTEED to be EXACTLY the same as a 'parent' plant, unless POLLINATION is strictly controlled in a CLOSED environment.
Cannas may get pollinated by many bugs as well as bees. As you'd know the pollen is the fertilizing 'agent' from the male plant parts. This will lead to the possibility of many 'fathers' to the seeds on one plant or even one flower.
To stick to cannas .. the ONLY way to get an exact plant like a 'parent' plant is via division of the rhisome. Any NEW colour variation is how 'new' cultivars are 'born' .. the process to actually register etc your 'new' colour/type etc is a long process. Many people have 'sports' (variations) show up when planting from seeds & most never get registered. It's fun to grow from seeds as you never know what you'll get .. some are 'the same' (but they actually have different DNA thru the pollination process & are NOT the same as the parent plant, even when they LOOK the same), some may have characteristics of nearby plants or those of neighbours.
Hope this helps! Want a 'true to parent plant' plant with Cannas .. division is the ONLY way. Dianne.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here