Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When will my Canna produce a seed?

Posted by RookieGardner z6 NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 8:22

Thank you all for the responses to my previous post. I was wondering when will my Canna produce it's seeds, and where will they be located? Also if anyone has a source where I could purchase seeds please let me know, I am interested in buying a few different varieties.

Thank You Again

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When will my Canna produce a seed?

Seed pods appear at the top after the flower dies off. It takes longer to grow them from seeds. Cannas multiply nicely. They can be devided in the fall in your area. And stored over the winter. The best way to do this is to dig up the clump and put it in water and clean off all the dirt. Then you can see the rhizomes and separate them. Let them dry out for at least a week before putting them in a box with air holes. Store in a cool place until spring.
Sky~~

o

What kind of canna do you have?

Jenna

o

Some cannas don't produce viable seeds, please tell us the variety you have...

WeatherGuy

o

I'm really not sure what kind I have... The first one pictured is supposed to produce a yellow flower and right now is approx. 5 feet tall. The second one pictured has an orange flower and is approx. 2 1/2 feet tall but it really has never done well at least that's what I think. I also have a Tropicana that I recently bought. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o

For sure, Tropicanna won't produce seeds. I've been growing Trops since they were first introduced and have yet to see one seed. But they spread so rapidly that you don't have to worry about getting a good stand the following year.

I'm sorry I don't know what the others are. But you could try to see if they set seed by not cutting the faded flower heads off. If they are going to give you seeds, you'll see them when the dried, round pods split open. They will be dark roundish, hard seeds.

Jenna

o

Check out Karchesky Canna for seeds. They sell some of their and I think the price is $3 for 6 seeds. http://www.karcheskycanna.com/
There you will find the page with the types listed that they sell seeds for.

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here