Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Split Cannas?

Posted by RookieGardner Zone 6 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 05 at 8:36

I recently bought a few Cannas this year and planted them in May, now one of them (not sure what kind) has multiplied about six times and is doing very well. I would like to dig up the new sprouts and plant them in various areas of my garden, but I am afraid that I will damage the main Canna in the center because the new sprouts are so close to it. Any suggestions would be great... Thanks!
Also, will Cannas do well near Pine trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Split Cannas?

In the middle of the growing season it is not advisable to divide a Canna. I would wait until the fall if you are digging it up for next year or next spring before the new growth starts.

The sprouts you are seeing are all part of the original rhizome. Cannas expand during there growing season they do not send runners out like EE's. As for you Pine tree question I do not see why they would not do well near Pine trees as long as they are not under them. Cannas like full sun and lots of water and fertilizer.

o

Thanks for the response.

So it will be okay to split them from the original rhizome in the fall?

Do you dig your Cannas in the fall and store them?

o

Yes, if you are in a freeze zone like NY. I am in the south so mine stay in the ground all year. When I want to devide them I dig them up and put them in water and devide them that way. You can see the rhizomes better when all the dirt is off them. Put them in a box with air holes and store in a cool place for winter.
Sky~~

o

I actually divide mine in the Spring. Mine overwinter in the raised beds I have. I put approx. 3 inches of mulch over them after the first frost and they have done fine for the last 3 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here