Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
privacy fence with cannas

Posted by vintagegardener 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 07 at 10:01

Yesterday my next door neighbor wanted me to come over to his house as he had something to show me(a very sweet older man).We went into his backyard and I was so surprised as my cannas were growing under the privacy fence into his yard.He told me I could dig them up and if I could think of something that would stop them from growing into his yard.I talked to DH and asked him if we could put concrete along the two fence panels so they would not grow under the fence.He said NO! Which I wasn't surprised by as getting him to help me sometimes is like pulling teeth.

Does anyone know what I can put along my fence to keep my bulbs from going under it and growing in my neighbors yard?

Thanks to all the help in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: privacy fence with cannas

I wouldn't recommend this if children are likely to visit the area, but I once used wide roof flashing for a barrier.

I just made a trench with an edger & pressed the bottom edge of the flashing into the trench.

It has very sharp edges, so wear heavy gloves & be careful.

o
RE: privacy fence with cannas

I did the same thing 2 years ago along one of my stockade fences..works great, no intruders and no escapees. I used a heavy duty stapler and stapled the top at 1/2 foot intervals to the fence to make sure no injuries would occur. It's held up very well. I have 3 kids, the youngest being 3 and they never get near it being that it is behind the plants against the fence. but even if for some reason they did, like a ball going back there, i am confident they won't get hurt with it being stapled to the fence. I highly recomend it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here