Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
an I.D. please

Posted by greylady-gardener 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 10:31

hello, I have not posted in this forum before, but as a friend asked for an I.D. of this canna and I didn't know, I thought that someone here would. :)
any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: an I.D. please

This canna cultivar is one of the more famous and interesting cultivars from the somewhat recent past 100 years. The valid name is subject to ones perspective of historical data and research. Wikipedia canna information declares that this cultivar’s valid name is C. Yellow King Humbert. Most research experts agree that this cultivar is a mutation of C. Red King Humbert or simply King Humbert.

Throughout North America this cultivar has be sold primarily under the name as C. Cleopatra. This name is widely used around the world and a search for canna Cleopatra will produce your cultivar. Keep in mind that this cultivar is considered to be a mericlinal chimera; meaning that it tends to show both leaf and bloom color phases. In other words it is somewhat unstable in appearance as opposed to a periclinal chimera.

For most individuals, C. Cleopatra is the name of choice.

Regards,

Kent

o

Thank you very much for your answer. I will let her know right away.

ETA: so does that mean that each time it grow in a season it could look different?

This post was edited by greylady-gardener on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 12:15

o

In plain terms YES!

C. Cleopatra will vary in leaf color and bloom color. This plant often produces some stalks of all green leaves with just yellow blooms /small red dots. Some plants will produce both the variegated leaves with the red streaks and sometimes it may produce a stalk with a completely red bloom. In other words, we can never be sure what that next stalk will produce. It will always be a combination of one of these colors. Your plant at present is producing the best of any of these combinations. If you will notice it appears that the new growth leaf at the bottom is not yet showing any variegation yet!

Kent

o

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. Thank you again. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here