Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edible Cannas

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 11:19

A couple weeks ago I decided that one of the spots where I put Cannas was just wrong, nothing stopping Cannas from creeping into other plants in that bed. Last June I buried around 8 nice-sized chunks of rhizome. When I dug them out, I cut off the stems at the rhizome, shook off all of the dirt, cut off most of the roots, and had 2 5-gallon buckets full of rhizomes. That's an amazing increase. I've shared them with 5 other people, and relocated some, but wow, apparently at any time there's a ton of excess in any given spot.

Apparently these are edible in several ways, confirmed on another site. Well that's cool, especially if they're going to multiply this fast. I'm not into trying to make the starch thing, but would like to try the sliced stem in stir fry, and wrapping food in leaves. Is anyone using Canna culinarily? Please elaborate.

This is another spot of them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edible Cannas

Yes cannas are considered edible according to Dr. N. Tanaka as published in “The Utilization of the edible canna (Canna discolor) in Asian countries”.

Other than starch production the canna is primarily use as feedstock for their animals, primarily hogs. As you know, hogs or starving people do what they must to exist. I am unaware of many who would consider cannas as a delicacy in any way shape or form.

Shortly after the above publication, several knowledgeable canna enthusiasts tried preparing cannas a number of ways; I know of none that planed on stocking their food pantry thereafter. I have tried peeling fresh new growth rhizome shoots and find them bland and somewhat fibrous with little taste.

Cannas are much more useful as a filtration in sewage lagoon runoff for removing contaminates.

I guess it takes all kinds; be sure to let us know how you like your cannas.

Kent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here