Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
username_5

help designing a container requested

username_5
18 years ago

Hello,

I am in the process of planning a container for next year that will feature a Pretoria/Bengal Tiger canna in a 21" pot.

Having never grown canna before I am having some difficulty determining what plants would go well in the same container to fill out the lower portion.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much room will remain in a 21" pot with the canna in the middle during the first season (I will divide the canna in subsequent years)? I am thinking of mounding and trailing purplish/bronzish plants to contrast with the foliage and flower. Some ideas so far are a purple clover (atropuprpureum?) and perhaps a trimmed back persian shield if it would fit. A purple foliaged sweet potato vine or purple ruffles basil are other ideas.

Comments (11)

• moriati
    18 years ago

{{gwi:534192}}

Mature plant in flower.

Do you need anything else?

you could plant trailing bedding plants such as Lobilia around the circumferance of the pot but sometimes 'Less is more'.

• marquest
    18 years ago

I agree with Moriati.... If you want something trailing maybe a pretty yellow green varigated ivy and let the Canna be the star.

I saw a really beautiful combo it had Canna Tropicanna with Dahlia Bishop and Japanese blood grass.

• username_5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Moriati,

Do you know what size pot that is? This is one of the things I am having trouble deciding on as I haven't grown cannas before and have heard stories of pots breaking from the tubers packing in.

• kyndac
    18 years ago

I like coleus with cannas.
    {{gwi:534193}}

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

KyndaC - is that a "King Humbert" canna?

• kyndac
    18 years ago

I don't know. I'm fairly new to the garden web forums and I never knew how important the names were. My garden is full of things I love, but 90% have no names!

• moriati
    18 years ago

That pot has a rim measurement of 24 inches. I would suggest planting maybe 3 rhizomes in your pot to get a good result the first summer. If fed and watered well and given an early start, they grow at an amazing rate.

The pot in the photo is tipped out and murdered with an axe every 2-3 years and yes, they can break the pots. I've had several simply push the growing roots straight through the wall of plastic pots.

Always choose the shape of pot with care. It must be wider at the top and with no inner lip to impede the removal of the root crown.

I find it best to cut the stems to a few inches above soil level, then leave the pots in storage cool and dry till about January. By then, the soil and rhizomes will have dried out and shrunk a bit making it easier to remove.

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I like coleus with cannas, too. I have a lot of lime green and burgundy-to-black stuff tucked in with my cannas. I also put triphylla hybrid fuchsias in with some of them, and Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrina' in with others. I use the Sweet Potato vines a lot in my containers as well.

• username_5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK, thanks everyone for your help. I really liked seeing the pictures (I hate how garden catalogs rarely show the entire plant in a natural setting) and I now have a good idea of what I will do pot size wise.

• crocosmia_mn
    18 years ago

Not sure how you would fit these into a container, but I've been loving my very first Canna with Mina Lobata vine, annual Butterfly Weed, Verbena Bonariensis, a violet Cleome and a few other things you can't see in the photos, such as Abutilon Red, a orange Hibiscus, and the daylily Mauna Loa.
    {{gwi:534194}}
    {{gwi:534195}}

• imhoff_msn_com
    16 years ago

Hi, crocosmia MN-- I just wanted to say I love your cannas in combination with other garden plants. One of the most attractive uses of cannas in the garden I've seen!

And I love your website photos, too! What great garden projects you have going around your home! And travel photos, too!

Now I am wondering where your garden is located and I'm guessing the Pacific Northwest. Am I at all correct about that? I wonder if some of your canna combination and other ideas would work here in Ohio!