Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
From Seed To Bloom, How Long?

Posted by christopher_m 8 Dallas Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 07 at 12:21

Hi folks, once I plant a germinated canna seed in a proper sized pot, and assuming it gets plenty of water and sunshine, typically how long does it take before I'll see the first bloom?

I want to plant cannas in pots for the purpose of reselling them. No, I don't plan to get rich, we'll be selling these at a neighborhood function. Actually my daughter will be doing so. I'm just trying to determine when the best time to plant will be based on the amount of time it takes before one begins to bloom. I want to sell them once they begin to bloom (or shortly thereafter).

I know that with seeds you never know what you'll get, so I would assume the time to bloom is not the same with all cannas, but if I could get some ideas from folks who have grown from seed that would be awesome.

Thanks!

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: From Seed To Bloom, How Long?

6-8 weeks

o

I have got blooms in 4 months

o

I have got blooms in 4 months

o

Mine from seed have not grown very fast and I started them in march..still no blooms but I did get 2 VERY nice variegated ones from seed..if this happens you could charge a bit more for those

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8aS.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 21:38

Will the seeds be true to the mother plant?

o

very few types are true from seed..one of the reasons I enjoy it so much you never really know what your going to get.. this is one from seed this year. the variegation makes it slow but its the best one from seed so far

o

I'm hooked on starting from seeds for the very same reason, I never know what I'll get until they bloom and I'm hoping to someday end up with an absolute rare beauty lol

mine take about 3-4 months to bloom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here