Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayla_gw

Cannas not blooming yet

bayla
18 years ago

Hi,

This is the third year that I am planting these cannas in the same area in the ground, in my backyard. I believe, if my memory serves me, they were already blooming by this time last year. All I have now are green leaves, about two feet tall. All the rhizomes I planted were healthy, and fat, with good eyes. I thinned them out, and gave some to my neighbor; hers are also slow.

They had a slow start this year, I planted them in the spring after the frost, and then we had cold weather. They were slow coming up. I am beginning to wonder if I will see any of my beautiful canna flowers this summer. What is wrong?

Thanks,

Bayla

BKLYN, NY

Comments (10)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Join the club. I even started mine inside in a baggy of peat on a heater to get them going faster, then planted them in some large pots, and put those out when it finally started to warm up a little in May. They essentially sat there with a few sprouts for a month and didn't really start leafing until June, after a May of below-normal temps. It's been pretty consistently warm here for June and into July and I'm guessing I won't see any blooms until September? Maybe August if someone from above smiles down upon me. Oh well...

• bayla
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Exactly!!! I put them in the ground at the end of April, beginning of May, and then it turned so cold and nasty, I thought they would die.

Well, I hope we have a long Indian summer, so they will get to bloom for a while, if they ever do!

Actually, all of my plants that I planted by seed are slow blooming this season. I only have five zinnias, and my coneflowers/echinacea blooming. My sunflowers are also not there yet. But the ones that every one waits for are my cannas, and they are tardy.

Good luck,
    Bayla

• rokal
    18 years ago

Hi Bayla,

I'm on Long Island and non of my cannas are blooming yet either. Mine were started indoors under heat mats well before last frost. "City of Portland" and "President" are almost 4 ft tall so I hope they hurry up ;0)

Rokal

• bayla
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I guess we can all take comfort in that WE did nothing wrong this time around.

I hope we all see our beautiful flowers soon. I am sure the heat will now speed things up.

Cheers,
    Bayla

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

I'm in zone 7 and it's been really hot for several weeks now and I only have 2 blooming out of about 12 or more. I keep hoping that they will come on but I did put most of them in pots for awhile so that may have stunted their growth.

Nancy

• bayla
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I now have one that is about to open. It is shorter than last year's cannas.

• LLCOUTY
    18 years ago

I AM IN NEW MEXICO, SAME PROBLEM. LAST YEAR I HAD SOME BEAUTIFUL YELLOW CANNA A FRIEND GAVE ME. THEY GREW SO FAST AND NICE THAT I ORDERED SOME ( ABOUT 15)ONE HAS PRODUCED FLOWERS, AN ORANGE ONE. THE OTHERS ARE JUST SHORT LEAFY AND NOT DOING WELL. BUT I KEEP CHECKING AND HOPING.

• skygardening
    18 years ago

It has been a great growing season for me. We had record rains in June. I'm sure that helped. I just put down some more and they are coming up already after less than two weeks. I have about fifteen verities going now.
    Sky~~

• njoynit
    18 years ago

My florence vahughns have bloomed,but notheing like last year.
    my journeys end has bloomed 2 times.
    My Bengal tiger blooms good now,but was slow at 1st.
    My pinks I bought have not bloomed.
    I was in the canna trade last fall& my seed ones(red& orange) have been blooming& I got a purple foliage one with green showing in leaves thats 6 ft tall and not a flower yet.I think its red,but do hope I see those bloom(are like 8 plants 3 locations)
    Lucifer was late this year& my 5 lonely lucifer group looks shabby.they are 2 ft from a concrete post,is it effected by post?anyone give a guess?the leaves are yellowy/brown on edges& seems to just be sitting there.They get watered with everything else.The white dauntra ain't doing too hot either and is in same area,but oppiste side.its just stunted& sitting.

• David Patrick
    last year

My cannas are so healthy but no blooms. Its July 16th and the plants are 7ft tall. No over crowding, plenty of sunshine. and watered regularly. Never had this happen before. Could it be the variety?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!