Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollywog_gw

canna's sizes

Hollywog
18 years ago

I started a lot of canna's from seed that I got on the seed exchange this year. All of them germinated, and are now blooming :-) (great excitement). However, as the seeds were all mixed in, the canna that are growing are all mixed up too. I have one yellow, several pink, an orange and some red. Some are short, some are medium height, and some are tall. My question is this: is the size that my canna are now the size they will stay? Will the small be small and the medium be medium next year, or will they get bigger as they mature? I am just wondering so that I know where to plant them (according to height) next year. Thanks!

Comments (2)

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    18 years ago

This will not help you at all! I have president, I think. Almost 20 plants, and all are different height. Some are almost 5 feet tall, and others are barely 2 feet.
    {{gwi:533585}}
    From left to right, you can see they get smaller.

• hairmetal4ever
    18 years ago

Is it possible that the ones on the left either get more water or better soil or something? More sun maybe? My Wyomings actually are different. I have 2 (well clumps really that started as 2 tubers) and the one is about 3 feet high at bloom and the other 5 feet.

However, in general, I'd say that seedgrown cannas would have genetic variations. They mnight all get a bit bigger next year than they were this year, but the general patterns would probably hold true, i.e if Canna 1 is half the height of Canna 2, then next year they'll be the same even if both taller.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio