Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this their maximum height?

Posted by petpalikali WI-Z4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 08 at 15:06

It's my first year growing Cannas, so forgive what may be a silly question. I don't know what kind they are, hence the mystery, but they are beginning to bloom! Woo Hoo! They are only about 30 inches tall, including the bud. The question is, is this their maximum height? I was sort of hoping they would get at least 4 feet, to cover the fence. Will they continue to grow taller?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this their maximum height?

A stalk will not get any taller after it puts out a bloom. However, thats not to say that future stalks will not get higher than 30 inches, it depends on the type of canna and how much sun, heat, water, etc it receives. I wouldn't think that the same canna would get as tall in Wisconsin as it would in Florida, but I can't say I've done or read anything to actually back that up.

o

So John, I should cross my fingers for a taller next stalk? Maybe I'll try to give them some extra water as well. Never having grown Cannas, or any tuber, I just don't know what to expect from my mystery plants. From the look of the buds, I'm guessing they'll be red. Thanks for the info, and the lightning speed response! I just love GardenWeb!

o

Extra water and maybe throw in some nitrogen couldn't hurt. Did any buds open up any today to see a color?

o

If you want tall cannas, just buy a named variety that grows tall.If you have a dwarf variety, it will never get to 5 or 6 feet.

o

It has been my experience that location has a lot to do with how the cannas grow. When I plant cannas along the road they get get to at most 4 feet and don't always bloom. Cannas on the south side of the house get to 5 or 6 feet and bloom. And in this one magical spot on the NW side of the house they get to 7 or 8 feet. This is all one variety from one original clump. The 8 foot tall ones are monsterous with 2.5'x 1' leaves and they bloom forever the flower spike never seems to stop branching. I wish I knew what caused them to do so well in that one spot. Also the monsterous cannas continue to send up new shoots throughout the year and everywhere else they send up shoots only in the spring and that is is until frost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here