Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna virus

Posted by bill_ri_z6b (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 15:30

For the first time, my Cannas (one variety given to me so I don't know what it is) are growing absolutely great this year. So I had decided to get some new varieties for next year. While researching various types, sources, etc. I came across a lot of postings about canna virus. What's the current situation? Is there a cure now? Is it really a big threat?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna virus

Bill,

The general situation remains much the same. Most growers are now very aware of the problem and a few are making progress towards the elimination of contaminated planting stock. In some ways it is somewhat like trying to eliminate the common cold. There is no cure for a virused plant. At the present time the answer lies with trying to find clean plants for a planting stock foundation, tissue cultured explants that have been virus indexed or growing new cultivars from clean seed and virus indexing.
All the above is both very time consuming and expensive. The chance of recontamination is always present.

The consumer must be aware of the problem and assuming their plants are clean they need to become familiar with the virus symptoms and grow any new plants somewhat isolated from the clean stock. Choose your supplier carefully and expect to pay a premium for clean stock. It is necessary to destroy any virused plants found.

Regards,
Kent

o

Bill and Kent, thanks to each of you f succinct question and answer, respectively. Are there any reliable sellers at this point?

Thank you again.

o

there is a new product that will be out next year to keep the virus dormant for a few months each dose.. I wouldnt go out and buy a virus canna on purpose but if you can't seem to find a clean plant of the kind you want Id get it anyway and wait it out

o

do you know any details about this product? Where should I look for it?

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here