Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleopatra

Posted by lynnsherbs 4 Minnesota (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 6, 06 at 15:42

I purchased these from McClure/Zimmerman this year. No red foliage at all - 1 has a streak down the middle. Is this common for the first year? I've never purchased from these folks before.

Lynn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleopatra

• Posted by
    josette-sc 8
    (gw:josette-sc) on
    Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 14:02

Cleopatra I have has a streak also. I am not aware of any with red foliage.

o

• Posted by annz PNW (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 18:36

The most I ever got was a leaf that was half burgundy, half green. As the rhizome matured every other leaf would have more red.......but never more than half.

o

Cleopatra is the unpredictable canna--you never know what she'll give you. Usually the foliage is green with perhaps a red streak somewhere. The blooms are usually yellow with red freckles, but occasionally you get one that's half yellow/half red.

It's a high maintenance canna. From what I've been told, to keep the streaking and bicolors, you have to cut off the green foliage or toss the whole rhizome. I've never done this and mine still does the occasional streaking, but nothing as dramatic as some of the pictures I've seen.

Don't give up. Let it multiply and see if you acquire the streaking and bicolor blooms. They'll be sporadic.

NancyAnn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here