Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buyorsell888

Cleopatra has no green?

buyorsell888
14 years ago

I saved a one gallon sized division of Cleopatra in my greenhouse over the winter.

It is now 5' tall with multiple stems and gorgeous but has no green at all.

I know it is Cleopatra, the parent plant I divided had both green and maroon leaves and red and yellow flowers. Unfortunately, it was too big to fit in the greenhouse and died.

I did not have any solid maroon cannas for this to have been mislabeled.

Comments (7)

• marquest
    14 years ago

I have grown Cleo for about 5 years a couple of times one of the eyes came up all purple but the other eyes it pushed up were purple and green.

If you are sure that you did not save a peice of a plant that might have accidently been sent to you with an order it will probably send up another plant with the purple and green leaf.

You will really be able to identify if it is the correct plant when it flowers.

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm positive the division I saved was from my Cleopatra which was both red and green. I have not purchased any Cannas in years so could not be a mislabeled one.

Perhaps it will send up some green shoots in the future.

• canna2grow
    14 years ago

Just to add a bit of reason to the ÂCleopatra issue being discussed you must know that Cleo is a chimera plant. This means that it contains DNA of two kinds. Chimera plants may come in three different forms. The most desirable form is reasonably stable and is easily propagated by normal vegetative means. This stable form typically produces identical offspring. In cannas you might consider the cultivars ÂPretoria (Bengal Tiger), ÂTropicannaÂ, or ÂPink SunburstÂ.
    ÂCleopatra is one of the more unstable forms and its offspring produces somewhat radical results, The results obtained all depend on where the growing point originates relative to the where the differing cells of DNA is located. In Cleo the you may see stalks produced that are all green that have a yellow flower with red spots; stalks that are all red and have flowers that are red; you may also see stalks that are a combination of both in both foliage and flower.
    Regards,
    Kent

• marquest
    14 years ago

Kent reading your post reminded me that Cleo has been one of the most "Never Know Leaf" canna I have. Some years I get very little red in the the leaves and other years I get a lot of red. This year I am getting very thin stipes of red on some of the leaves.

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So, when I divided the parent plant last fall I should have saved pieces of rhizome with red foliage and pieces of rhizome with green foliage or a piece with both. Instead I must have only saved pieces of red.

• canna2grow
    14 years ago

Unfortunately the answer is "we donÂt really know". That is what makes propagation of an unstable chimera difficult to predict. Some people have used the term "schizophrenic" to describe this cultivar. Chances are that if you grow the plant you now have it will at some time produce either or both the other forms of leaf/bloom characteristics. I can almost guarantee that your present plant still has both types of DNA cells located somewhere. Actually the all red form is generally rarer. Given the choice, it would likely be better to save a larger section of the rhizome that has both the red and green leaf characteristics present.
    Regards,
    Kent

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found a green streak about an inch long on one of the leaves. The flower is pure red.