Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
short cannas?

Posted by abcgirltx z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 07 at 17:09

anyone have any recommendations for some cannas that grow to no more than 2-3 feet? flower and leaf color does not matter.

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: short cannas?

I have one called 'Shining Pink' that is supposed to stay that small. This is only it's second year and so far it has.

o

• Posted by ornata London UK (8/9?) (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 27, 07 at 8:12

'Picasso' is a nice, short one.

For more suggestions, take a look at Karchesky Canna's website; they list cannas by height.

o

Thank you both for the information!

o

I love the Karchesky site! It is so full of good information and tho they are pricey you always get the canna you order! Besides, Alice is a wonderful resource!

o

I'm loving 'Journey's End'--it's already blooming, and it's only 2 ft tall.

o

Here's a pic of Journey's End, whole plant and close-up of a bloom. I'm sure it will be larger next year (it's new to my garden this year), but it is supposed to stay fairly short.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

• Posted by ornata London UK (8/9?) (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 3, 07 at 10:05

Wow! What a beautiful flower - like a pale and interesting version of 'Picasso'.

o

Try the Tropical Series. Tropical Rose, Tropical Yellow, Tropical White and I think there are others. Try growing these from seed. These get 2.5' to 3' in height. With pretty green foliage, and gorgeous blooms!

o

thanks to everyone for your responses, i'll be looking for those you've mentioned. and that journey's end is beautiful!

o

There are a number of very short Canna that start with the var. "Tropical ...", for example "Tropical Rose", "Tropical White", etc. These have dark green ruffled looking leaves. Lucifer is another short Canna.

Thompson-Morgan Seed Co. has seeds for various "Tropical ..." cultivars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here