Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taz6122

How long do blooms last? Newbie

taz6122
14 years ago

This is my first year for canna and I bought and planted seeds from ebay. The add only said red canna. My blooms are very small and have only lasted 3-5 days. Is this normal? Are the blooms the right size for the plants age? Will they ever get any bigger? Here's a couple pictures so you can see the plant and the blooms.

{{gwi:521629}};{{gwi:534789}}

Comments (9)

• irishmoya
    14 years ago

Quite impressive growing from seed. I have had numerous "volunteer"s in my yard from seeds when I'm digging them up in the fall. My experience is that growing from seed the canna plants will be much smaller as opposed to when you plant rhizomes.

Once established the Canna's will be prolific in growing and thus blooming. Water and fertilze throughout the summer. The canna's size and blooming is dependent on ample water, sun and fertizer and of coure good soil. Next year plant the rhizomes from this years Canna's in the spring and you will be several feet higher this time next year. Your canna's look good and healthy

• canna2grow
    14 years ago

Cannas grown from seed are interesting but depending on their source (parents) they are highly unreliable as to genetic makeup. You can only assume them to be an unknown seedling.
    Your photos would indicate to me that you simply have a small flowered hybrid that will forever produce a small flowered bloom. The plant may grow in size as the season progresses but the bloom size will remain small. You may see a slight increase in the number of flowers produced on each bloom cluster but overall the genetics of the plant are fixed and the results will remain more or less the same.
    Regards,
    Kent

• taz6122
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks moya for the compliment.

Kent you are not very far away. I live in Springdale,AR. Do you think they might survive the winter being so close to the house? How bad was the ice damage in your area this past winter? I had a branch go through the top on my convertible mustang and a pretty good ding in the trunk of the saturn. I was one of the lucky ones. $1500 for a new top is not much considering what others lost.

• taz6122
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Kent. The only choice I have is leave them and mulch or dig them and put them in the frige. No shed, basement or garage. I do like the foliage but not the small blooms so really no loss if they don't make it and if not I will get some with larger blooms and maybe variegated leaves also. Any suggestions?
    Thanks again
    John

• canna2grow
    14 years ago

John,
    If you are just becoming interested in cannas I would suggest you keep it simple for the first year or two. How to grow and winter store is a quick learning curve; no great secrets or special requirements other than a basic understanding of your climates limitations.
    DonÂt go investing in some of the difficult cultivars that seem to present problems for some. Stick to the older tried and true cultivars; not much invested and you can afford to make some mistakes without much cash outlay.
    There are several large flowered cultivars (varieties) readily available. There are some virus disease issues but until you can recognize the symptoms you may choose to grow these in your area without great problems (part of the learning curve). President, Miss Oklahoma, and a host of others are easily obtained green leaved varieties; Pretoria (Bengal Tiger) is a good variegated variety; King Humbert is a taller bronzed leaf cultivar that is usually readily available. I suggest you buy from a reliable supplier to ensure you get "true to name" cultivars.
    Best of luck,
    Kent

• irishmoya
    14 years ago

John don't ever put them in the fridge makes them rot. Mulch them big time. I have a basement so the ones I have planted butted next to my house do come back.

If you don't have the warm foundation of the basement they may not come back. Let the foilage die back through the winter mulch the bottom high and cut the dead branches off after the winter is completely over. Some of the rhizomes will be black and dead but the ones routed further down in the ground will come back . The branches in the winter give extra protection for the rhizomes.

• taz6122
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Moya why would they rot if not kept too wet? I am a beginner with canna but not with over wintering rhizomes in the frige. Are canna dormancy requirements that much different than others with tubers or rhizomes?

• irishmoya
    14 years ago

John - Canna's are tropical they don't like the cold. They will get damp and rot and its just how God made them.

dry them off store them in a closet in a paper bag or container with the lid off for air. They cannot be sealed in plastic or a rubber maid with out the lid open. Some speciality cannas over the winter need some extra care and help. Fortunately for you these are not those type of Cannas.