Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocomo_pr

Stuttgart canna fraud?

cocomo
17 years ago

Hi every one:

This past spring I bought some 'Stuttgart canna' rhyzomes from Touch of Nature company. I planted them and they are growing well except for the fact that they don't show the sligthest hint of variegation. They have not bloomed yet but they are already at least 2 feet high. I wonder if they sent me something else instead of what I ordered... They were labeled as Stuttgart Canna though.

Do you think I should complain to this company? or... Is there a possibility it is indeed the mentioned variety but that it has not shown variegation yet for any other reason related to climate or soil etc.? I am using a locally available brand of potting mix that is peat moss-based.

I will appreciate all your repplies from people with experience growing this variety of canna. Thanks in advace!

Comments (18)

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

cocomo,
    it is always possible that you were sent the wrong canna, but... the variegation of the stuttgart is caused by an unstable tissue mutation called a chimera. Being that this mutation is unstable the stuttgart can possibly revert back to all green, and then all of a sudden it can have the white segments.
    Soil and fertilizer have have little to no impact on this mutation. I have about 8 growing at this time and they all range from pure white leaves to all green. If you want to complain to the company you can, but I have a feeling that you will be given the same explination that I just gave you. BTW, the cleopatra has the same mutation behavior as the stuttgart.

zitrojoe

• butterflychaser
    17 years ago

I bought some from TofN too. And I asked them about it. They've apparently had several complaints. They emailed me immediately and suggested that I wait a few more weeks. Some people have reported that the variegation is showing up as the plants mature. Mine are about 2 ft tall, like yours, and just as green as my Robert Kemp. But I'll give it time. TofN has always been very good about responding and replacing or refunding for me.

I also have Cleopatra and am so unimpressed. The occasional red streak in the foliage does not impress me. For foliage cannas, I will stick with Tropicanna, Pretoria, Red Wine, and Red Stripe.

NancyAnn

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

Cocomo,

I have a stuttgart that is definitely very varigated. I can send you pictures if you want. I know we've talked about a future trade before. I've promised the first pup away but if you want, I'll save the next one for you. :)

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I purchased this last year, never did get variegated. Got it from a local nursery. Mail ordered one this year from Brent and Becky's. It came up nice and variegated but is not a very good growing plant, had to move it as it was getting burned in am sun. It seems fairly weak and has not been a good grower for me. And usually canna are a pest here.
    Should have known better, it did originate in Germany and a much cooler climate than I have.
    Good luck with yours.
    Tally HO!

• wolflover
    17 years ago

I ordered several Stuttgart rhizomes from Touch of Nature two years ago, and none of them ever showed any variegation. I complained to the company when the plants first came up solid green, and the company's owner (Burt?) told me to wait and see if they turned variegated. I waited several months but they never showed any variegation. They eventually bloomed a gorgeous, peachy colored bloom similar to Miss Oklahoma, only much prettier. There were other people on Garden Web that year who had been sold the same canna as Stuttgart, who posted pictures of their plants. When my plants bloomed and I knew they weren't Stuttgart, I emailed or called Burt and offered to send him pictures of my plants, but instead he refunded my money and I kept the cannas. Burt told me that I was the only person who had complained about the plants, leading me to believe that his other plants had been Stuttgart, and maybe my plants were accidentally mislabeled. It gripes me now to hear that two years later he is continuing to sell rhizomes as Stuttgart that he KNOWS are misnamed. I think you should all complain to him, demand a refund of your money, and then leave negative feedback at Garden Watchdog. I can't imagine that he is STILL selling those green leafed cannas as Stuttgart two years after I got mine. I will say it is a gorgeous colored bloom though, and one I have never been able to identify for sure. When yours bloom, and if you can identify the bloom, I would be curious to know what they really are.

• cocomo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. They have been very informative. I will definitely complain to the seller, since I bough 4 rhyzomes, and out of the three that did grow all three look just the same plain green. They are not getting burned leaves. The look just fine but show no variagation. I think they most likely are mislabeled. I will let you know what I get in repply from the seller.
    Thanks again
    cocomo

• dilbert
    17 years ago

"the variegation of the stuttgart is caused by an unstable tissue mutation called a chimera. Being that this mutation is unstable the stuttgart can possibly revert back to all green, and then all of a sudden it can have the white segments."

Not all chimeras are unstable. Amazingly, some people are chimeras.

Anyway, a chimera that has lost all of its variegation probably isn't a chimera anymore and won't change back. That is why any nursery selling cuttings from an unvariegated Stuttgart is being dishonest.

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

Dilbert - correct about the chimera, I didnÂt mean for it to sound that 'only' unstable tissue mutations were chimera, bad wording.

About your second comment, I had a Stuttgart that made two plants that had all green leaves and then the third one had the variegation, all from the same rhizome. However, I have had some that have never made any variegation. I am stuck between the ideas that 1)the mutation is completely random and can go dormant then become active again. 2)The chromosomes can somehow repair themselves and rid itself of the mutation all together...thoughts.

Joe

• dilbert
    17 years ago

"I am stuck between the ideas that 1)the mutation is completely random and can go dormant then become active again. 2)The chromosomes can somehow repair themselves and rid itself of the mutation all together...thoughts."

I am under the impression that, in unstable chimeras, cells of one genetic makeup easily outgrow the other. Once there are no more of the other cells left, reversion to variegated form is unlikely if not impossible.

Another very unstable variegated chimera, also in the banana family, is Heliconia illustris 'Rubricaulis'.

{{gwi:421582}}

• wolflover
    17 years ago

OMG Dilbert, what a beauty!!! Another plant to add to my "Wish List". Thanks for posting that picture. :)

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

Dilbert, I have never seen that type of Heliconia, as far as I knew they only had green leaves. Do you have a picture of the flower? Where could one find one of these?

joe

• dilbert
    17 years ago

"Dilbert, I have never seen that type of Heliconia, as far as I knew they only had green leaves. Do you have a picture of the flower? Where could one find one of these?"

I don't have a picture of the flower. The bracts are variegated similar to the leaves and not particularly showy.

There are many heliconias with red and/or variegated leaves. Heliconia illustris 'rubricaulis' is a very old cultivar collected from the South Sea islands. It was probably a mutation cultivated by Polynesians. The nomenclature is confused, but here is its first appearance in Western civilization in 1883:
    {{gwi:421587}}

About 10 years later, the name Heliconia illustris 'rubricaulis' appeared in catalogs as an extra intensely colored variety.

It is not widely cultivated because it is very cold sensitive and needs high humidity. It is available from many Hawian nurseries, but you have to show them the picture because they do not know the proper name.

Here is a picture of another South Sea heliconia, H. Spectabilis, which is much easier to grow:
    {{gwi:421585}}
    Again, show the people from the Hawian nurseries the picture and tell them it is a heliconia but DO NOT ASK FOR IT BY NAME or you will get something else!

• cocomo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi everyone:

I never thought this posting would attract so much interest... I wanted to fill you up on my complain to Touch of nature. They did answered my complain and asked me to wait until it would bloom. If it has not shown variegation by that time they offered to refund my money. And yes they acknowledge that they have received other complaints about this same issue.

So I am still waiting... they still haven't shown variegation nor any signs of blooming...oh well....

• dilbert
    17 years ago

"I am using a locally available brand of potting mix that is peat moss-based."

"So I am still waiting... they still haven't shown variegation nor any signs of blooming...oh well.... "

Since it is in a pot and is without chlorophyl-less variegation, you should move it into full sunlight to hasten blooming.

• skygardening
    17 years ago

My Stuttgarts are in the shade and still burning. Temps have been too high for all the cannas. 90's for months and no rain. 12" below normal. I would think in zone ten it wouldn't do well in full sun, even if green.

• dilbert
    17 years ago

"My Stuttgarts are in the shade and still burning."

Is the burning only on the white parts?

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

Mine are having a burning problem too but the sun has been intense and also HOOOOOOT.

• marquest
    17 years ago

I am having a strange year. My Stuttgart is 4 years old and I always had some burning not much until August. But this year was the hottest weather we have had since I had it and this year I have gotten absolutly no burning.

I am growing it in a pot. I filled the Pot half with soil and watered until the it was at the the top of the pot at all times. Like being in a pond. It is simply beautiful this year. As the water level went down I refilled with epsom salt and miracle-grow fert.

cocomo, are you near San Juan? I will be there in Dec maybe I could bring you a piece of mine.