Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My 1st Cannas and leaf rollers

Posted by Sheri_MS z8 MS (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 22, 05 at 19:39

I bought two cannas this summer from a garden shop and I have a rolled up and stitched leaf on one. My daughters and I have a butterfly garden on the other side of the house so I am debating just leaving it be and letting them watch the process. BUT I don't want to lose my plants entirely. I have since planted some other canna rhizomes which are starting to sprout. Will the leaf rollers take over? Should I snip the leaf off and trash it? What if I cut off the leaf and move it somewhere away from the other cannas? Too many questions. . . . .

Sheri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My 1st Cannas and leaf rollers

Sorry this isn't an answer but another question. I just got some cannas out of someones yard and were not planted yet. Noticed they have rollers with some yucked up leaves. I used the hose to wash off the yuck and found 3 catipillers together in one of the leaves. The question is-how small can the worm be and how deep will they go-so if by pulling back the leaf and hoseing out all the spaces within the small unrolled leaves without seeing the worm can I assume they have moved on?

Also, I planted some corms from Wal Mart and only the yellow ones have rollers too. Could the critters have been in the bag with the corms and peat moss? If so is there a dunk solution that would help?

o

I am in OS, so should be near y'all, Sheri

We purchased at Lowe's some stuff called "Dipel Dust." It is Bacillus thuringensis (sp?) aka 'Bt.' Powder it on the canna leaves, the rollers are gone

I still have butterflies on the other plants, and I don't powder the canna flowers, so I don't think this stuff is an issue for the butterflies

I can say, tho, that pulling the leaves doesn't work, and the leaf rollers will FLAT eat all your cannas if you don't do something.

sea ya
tami

o

In previous posts there has been very detailed discussion about leaf rollers and how to control them so yesterday when I discovered some of my canna had stitched leaves I put a stop to it right there. I cut off the rolled leaves to ground level then sprayed the heck out of everything with orthenex, tops bottoms and inbetweens. I then sprayed the cut leaves making sure the spray got into the rolled tube then folded them over into little small packages and stomped on them and threw them in the garbage veteran canna growers have gotten me paranoid about those suckers. I wanted to make sure they were dead. For the next few days I will be keeping an eagle eye out for stitched leaves.

X

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here