Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

how will I divide these?

hairmetal4ever
18 years ago

I planted 2 "Wyoming" Cannas in March indoors. I put them out in late May, repotted in June and now each plant which started as a single shoot has 6-8 shoots out in all directions in their 15 inch pots. Blooming too. In fall, how will I divide these and store them? How can I make sure each division has an "eye" on it?

Comments (8)

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    18 years ago

I plant mine in the ground. In the fall, I dig them up, let them dry out on the deck for a few days. Be careful with the temps, frost will kill the exposed tubers. Once dry I clean as much dirt off as possible, and store them on an old table in the basement. In the spring I will divide them. I look for a clump that will have at least two eyes, and cut or break it off the main tuber. Once you see the mass of roots and tubers, you will know what each eye looks like. A lot of times the eyes will be barely attached and I can break it off by hand, by gently bending it back and forth. This is only my experience, others may say I'm out of my mind!

PS I got lots of rain in Stark County over the weekend, I hope you got some also! I've got some green foilage with red blooms, president maybe. Let me know if you want to trade. Something took my wyoming this year.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I might take some. I'll trade you for some Wyoming's.

We got jipped on rain. Every storm veers north or south it seems. We did get about .76 inches in my rain gauge the other morning though so maybe the tide is turning.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks BTW for the info. Do you start yours early indoors??

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    18 years ago

I don't start mine indoors. I try to plant them between May 15th and Memorial day. Last year I think they were all in full bloom by now. This year they are sporadic. A couple are in full bloom, while others aren't even showing signs of blooming. I blame the weather.
    E-mail me in the fall to set up the trade!

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've heard that but you'd think with the heat they'd be blooming sooner.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    18 years ago

The bizarre spring slowed everything down this year. It went from being cool and comfortable to being hot and miserable. It looks like you got rain last night. We got drenched!

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My rain gauge in south Akron this morning (after all day yesterday and till 7 this morning) showed 2.2 inches of rain. The airport (CAK) reported 1.4 inches just through midnight but another storm came through Akron around 2:15 AM and probably dumped another half inch.

• skygardening
    18 years ago

I put mine in water and use the hose to clean them and devide them. You can see exactly where you want to devide that way. I also will be interested in trading whenever anyone is ready. I am in Florida so devide mine at all times. I have lots of Richard Wallace that I need to thin out and a few Wintzer's Colossal.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator