Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
container cannas not blooming

Posted by sjpaddy z8 LA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 13, 05 at 23:01

I have some canna mixtures in pots which have never bloomed. The ones I have planted in the ground do fine. They've been blooming for some time now, but for some reason these in the containers don't bloom. Any ideas?

Also, I have caterpillars eating the leaves of my cannas(and angel trumpet). Any suggestions for how to eradicate these suckers? Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: container cannas not blooming

Feed and water heavily. Altho it may be different for others, I've found that over the years the cannas planted into large planters usually seem to flower later than the ones in the ground. If your cannas are planted in smallish containers, I would move them to large ones. With the heat that we've been having, despite being in humongous planters, I've had to water them once (more often twice) a day as the container planters dry out really fast.

As far as the catapillars, I just squish them with my fingers. You could spray with Sevin but I've found that the squishing method is faster.

Jenna

o
RE: container cannas not blooming

You didn't mention if the cannas have been grown in this container previously. What I am about to ask is sometimes as the cannas multiply within the container there is inadequate room for soil and lots of roots form from the tubers. I have removed most of the tubers, move them out of the container and just plant a few in a new soil mix and it grows and blooms prolifically. Cannas are also heavy feeders. Hope this helps.

Vicki

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here