Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

great fertilizer for our cannas

v1rt
15 years ago

Hi,

Which fertilizers are very good for our Cannas and that can be bought from Home Depot or Lowes?

Thanks,

Neil

Comments (11)

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

Honestly...I just use compost and cow manure, with a bit of wal-mart brand 20-20-20 fertilizer. Look at my cannas in my thread on here to see how well my cannas have done in their first year.

• tey157
    15 years ago

I used some 6-2-4 organic fertilizer that I got from Sam's Wholesale. And of course good compost.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Maybe, I should try my soy bean meal and mixed it with little vermicompost and humic acid.

• rigo74
    15 years ago

I use cow poo on all my canna beds and they grow very big 6' at least.

Rigo74

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yesterday, mystique finally came out. It's half inch from ground. So looks like it showed itself 2 days ago. I planted the rhizome that only had roots last July 29. That means, it grew 6.5" in 10 days.

I feel a bit sad though because I found out that Lowes, Menards and Home Depot are also selling Cannas. I was under the impression that cannas are hard to find. Menards was selling Black Knight for $14. It was like 2 ft tall. They were also selling Wyoming for $10-$12. Height was like 18". Lowes was selling Tropicana. I forgot the type that HD was selling.

Anyways, I'm glad that these 3 stores were not selling Bengal Tiger(BT). I just bought BT from ebay and it should b e here by next week.

Is Bengal Tiger a good choice?

Thanks!

• greenfingernail
    15 years ago

try twomblynursery - I bought 15 for $16.20. Good prices.

Ofcourse I planted them about 2 weeks ago, along with some glads and lilies (a little late in the summer, I agree for all of these) - some glads and many of the lilies are poking their heads out (won't mention the rabbits at this time!) but only 1 canna has shown up so far - I wondered whether they were taking their time, and when I should expect to see them.

• katie_55
    15 years ago

I use mushroom compost and epson salts, along with some Superthrive. Lots of water.

v1rtu0s1ty; I love my Bengal Tiger, it is a very good choice.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi katie_55,

I received my Bengal Tiger today. It's is only 10" tall. The leaves aren't healthy as well. :(

It had tons of root though. However, the other one, it had many roots but I could hardly distinguish the rhizomes as if there was no rhizome. Is this normal?

I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Thanks,

Neil

• Dorion Fields
    6 years ago

Some cultivars have very small skinny rhizomes and hopefully your Pretoria/Bengal Tiger will come into its healthy life later after you give it some TLC...

• Dorion Fields
    6 years ago

Usually if I get a plant from an outside source I keep it in its original bedding for a while just to observe it unless it is potted wrong, seems root bound or maybe the medium looks low quality...cannas usually are not too bad with shock they tend to settle right in or in a matter of a day or so they perk up with adequate lighting and a little watering...always plan ahead when you know youre about to adopt a green child...and try staying tap water/chlorinated water free for you and your green kids...

• Dorion Fields
    5 years ago

I have amended my soil all kinds of ways and mixtures...I've used dried crushed egg shells..gone out in the woods and found a completely dried out tree that basically crumbles fairly easy...composted manure...I've collected lint from the dryer and soaked it in all purpose fert and mixed all of this together and I add a few worms for aeration and their own fertilizer contribution and I'm digging into new Ideas cheap and easy alternatives

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor