Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleuthtl73

Canna ID (1)

sleuthtl73
9 years ago

Hello,
I don't know the name of some of my cannas. Can anyone help me ? Here is the first one : It has a dark foliage and a red flower. It's quite tall, almost 2.5m high.

link to more photos :
http://imgur.com/tUBM62w,yEYP39f,jPSS9Dn#2

Tanguy

Comments (6)

• canna2grow
    9 years ago

Those are good photos but I cannot get a good look at the bloom. I think there is a good possibility that you cultivar may be C. Australia. The leaf color is a bit lighter than we normally see but that may be because of your growing location; due a search and compare.

Regards,

Kent

• sleuthtl73
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello,
    thanks for your reply. I searched for information about C. australia and I'm not so sure...The Canna Australia seems to have an orange/red flower, doesn't it ? My canna has a dark red flower. ( I agree, though, on the first photos I gave, it looks a bit orange ). Here is a photo I took last year. I think the color matches the one I can see on the plant in my garden.

best regards,
    Tanguy

• canna2grow
    9 years ago

I understand your concern about the bloom color but consider that nearly all cultivars express slight to moderate bloom color phases due to the growing location and the time of the year.

There are likely only two or three widely grown cultivars similar to your pictured cultivar that grows that tall. C. Australia is one of them.

The most likely other choice would be C. King Humbert (a.k.a) C. Red King Humbert or C. Roi Humbert. For all practical purposes these are identical plants sold under different names. They have been widely available in Europe for many years. These cultivars along with C. Australia will have red to reddish orange blooms; grow about 1.5 to 2 m tall. When these cultivars are grown side by side one can easily see a difference but the leaf characteristics are more readily discernible.

Below is an old photo of King Humbert.

Let us know what you think.

Kent

• theripetomatofarm
    9 years ago

Red King Humbert would be my guess. If it was shorter and had darker/more green leaves, I would say Black Knight.

• sleuthtl73
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your replies.
    I thought I had answered, but my message didn't show up on the site. Red King Humbert definitely looks like the canna I own. Can it grow up to 2.5m? (my canna is that tall).

best regards,
    Tanguy

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

This is one I had that looks similar and was labeled Wyoming which was suppose to have orange flower but mine looked red. The leaves matched Wyoming though...so I don't really know.
    {{gwi:212243}}
    This was 8' in standing water.