Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna ID (1)

Posted by sleuthtl73 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 6:42

Hello,
I don't know the name of some of my cannas. Can anyone help me ? Here is the first one : It has a dark foliage and a red flower. It's quite tall, almost 2.5m high.

link to more photos :
http://imgur.com/tUBM62w,yEYP39f,jPSS9Dn#2

Tanguy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna ID (1)

Those are good photos but I cannot get a good look at the bloom. I think there is a good possibility that you cultivar may be C. Australia. The leaf color is a bit lighter than we normally see but that may be because of your growing location; due a search and compare.

Regards,

Kent

o

Hello,
thanks for your reply. I searched for information about C. australia and I'm not so sure...The Canna Australia seems to have an orange/red flower, doesn't it ? My canna has a dark red flower. ( I agree, though, on the first photos I gave, it looks a bit orange ). Here is a photo I took last year. I think the color matches the one I can see on the plant in my garden.

best regards,
Tanguy

o

I understand your concern about the bloom color but consider that nearly all cultivars express slight to moderate bloom color phases due to the growing location and the time of the year.

There are likely only two or three widely grown cultivars similar to your pictured cultivar that grows that tall. C. Australia is one of them.

The most likely other choice would be C. King Humbert (a.k.a) C. Red King Humbert or C. Roi Humbert. For all practical purposes these are identical plants sold under different names. They have been widely available in Europe for many years. These cultivars along with C. Australia will have red to reddish orange blooms; grow about 1.5 to 2 m tall. When these cultivars are grown side by side one can easily see a difference but the leaf characteristics are more readily discernible.

Below is an old photo of King Humbert.

Let us know what you think.

Kent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here