Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Cannas, Brown Leaves

Posted by bobestes 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 10, 06 at 10:21

Got some new potted cannas from HD recently.

Put them in the ground, then noticed a few days later, some of the leaves are turning brown and crispy.

is this:

A) because they need to be divided/spread out

B) because they're getting fried in the full mid-summer texas sun (and haven't established themselves yet

and/or

C) because they haven't been watered enough (I usually water once daily)

Ultimately, I've been assuming I'd keep them alilve, wait for them to die down in the winter, then dig up the tubers and replant in the spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Cannas, Brown Leaves

• Posted by annz PNW (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 11, 06 at 2:00

For your zone you shouldn't have to dig up the rhizomes this winter. Mine stay year-round and do fine.

They may have burned because they were sheltered at HD and are now exposed to full sun. They'll probably send up some new shoots .............just make sure the water is actually reaching the roots and not running off and give them some MilacleGro.

If they're like most I see at HD I doubt they need dividing.

o

or you could have leafrollers...do a search on this forum for pictures and discussion.

I thought mine were crunchy, but they were being eaten.

o

It sounds like 1 of 2 problems:

1) Leaf Rollers - check and see if there are rolled-up leaves that are "stitched" shut, with a material that looks like a spider web. If so you have leaf rollers. HD or Lowe's sell products that will kill them. I use an Ortho spray - a lot of people like powder, because it stays around longer
2) Rust - Does it start out with yellow or brown specks or streaks on the leaves, then gets worse? If so, you probably have rust. It's a fungus, and there is no cure - however, a fungicide should prevent it from advancing. Again, HD or Lowe's sells them - I use a coipper-based one.

Hope this helps.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here