Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracy_brant

When might my mystery canna bloom? (photos)

Tracy Brant
16 years ago

I got a bag of unidentified canna tubers at a sale and planted them in June. Pretty foliage, but no sign of a bloom yet. This is the first time I've had cannas. Did I plant them late for Zone 6? Do some bloom later than others? Other cannas in my area have been blooming since July.

I can't wait to see what kind they are. If anyone can ID them just from foliage, I'd love to know:

{{gwi:535431}}

{{gwi:535432}}

Comments (28)

• nucci60
    16 years ago

If it flower orange it is most likely "wyoming". It has been around since about 1903 and still one of the best cannas.

• Tracy Brant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Mucci60 - the photos I found do look similar. Hopefully, I will see some blooms to make a positive ID. They do seem to be putting out new foliage at a faster rate the past week or so. I'm hoping that means they are having a growth spurt that will lead to flowers. I love orange.

• nucci60
    16 years ago

Mine flower at about 4-5 feet.I have one starting now.

• Tracy Brant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That fence behind them is 4 feet high - so I have some way to go. But thank you - now I have more realistic expectations. I started mine fairly late, I think. I will start them in pots indoors next year, and plant them around Memorial Day. (I read that somewhere in this canna forum.)

This is my first canna-growing year - but I am already hooked! The foliage alone makes them worth having. I want to try some in a big pot, too.

• marquest
    16 years ago

You do have a very pretty color arrangement.

Are you giving them some fertilizer? They stared growing fast because we got so much rain. The more water and fertilizer they get the faster the growth and flowers.

• nucci60
    16 years ago

matriarchy, if you strt them indoors be thrifty with the watering can.Cannas can rot very easily if they get too much water before there is vegative growth.I found out this unfortunate fact first hand.

• Tracy Brant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have flower stalks starting! I've seen a lot of growth in just the past week or so, seems like a new leaf unfurls every day. They reached the top of the fence and I see two flower stalks now. I am ridiculously excited. I'll post a photo when I get a bloom.

It's been dry for the past few weeks. Not enough rain to really soak things. I have been watering near the cannas because I have some new guaras establishing roots, but not as much as I might have if I had realized the cannas like water. They don't seem to "droop" when it's dry, so I've probably been assuming they want less water than they do.

I haven't fertilized beyond top-dressing with compost that gets watered in. What kind of fertilizer do cannas like?

Thanks for the tip about over-watering the tubers I start in pots, Nucci60. Maybe I will start half in pots, and half right into the ground when it gets warm, then compare the results.

• marquest
    16 years ago

I use Miracle-gro bloom booster every two weeks.

• nucci60
    16 years ago

matriarchy,good luck with Guara, they are tough to grow for a lot of people. they put on a great how and then disapear the next spring.I lost them two years in a row and gave up.

• passion_for_flowers
    16 years ago

Your mystery canna looks a lot like my Red King Humbert,
    I have mine in a whiskey barrel and give it at least 3 gals of water per day, I mix mushroom compost in with the soil, I have slow release pellets in the soil, used soil moist when I first planted it and feed it with Miracle Gro Bloom Buster every Saturday morning. If it was in the ground I would not feed it as often. Mine was just over 4 feet when it started to bloom and now a few weeks later I am getting even more blooms. Here is link to two photos taken 17 days apart.
    It seems to take forever to get that first bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Red King Humbert

• southlatropical
    16 years ago

If the flowers are small and red they could be russian red or indica purpurea.
    {{gwi:397775}}
    {{gwi:535433}}

• Tracy Brant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

RE Guaras: Nucci60, I have two different Guara varieties planted this year. One early in the season (Siskiyou Pink) that has really gotten big and is coming back for another round of bloom after being cut back mid-summer. Four of another cultivar (Pink Fountain) came from the Lowe's clearance rack in quart pots for 50 cents each - so I thought it was worth a try! I will mulch them heavily and see what happens. I hear they have a tap root, so I didn't think they would do well in pots. I am curious to see how they will overwinter here in Zone 6.

RE Canna: Thanks for the fertilizer tips, Passion. I have a small urban yard and I am considering more cannas in pots next year. Your Humbert is beautiful!

YAY! My canna is blooming! The flower is orange, but it doesn't look like Wyoming. Anyone recognize this:

{{gwi:535434}}

• Tracy Brant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You might be onto something, SouthLATropical.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Is it possible that's one from the Futurity line?

• southlatropical
    16 years ago

There are so many cannas out there. It could also be canna red stripe which looks almost identical to russian red and indica purpurea. I also found this one.............

Here is a link that might be useful: canna red bird

• marquest
    16 years ago

Looks like Intrigue to me. They have little orange peachy looking flowers.

I grow most of my cannas for the leaves. I am not really impressed with the flowers. Intrigue is one of those punny orange flowers but the height and leaf color is beautiful. I have gotten it to grow 8' tall it is gorgeous. The flowers are not so gorgeous.

• nucci60
    16 years ago

I have intrique and the leaves are very narrow and sword like. Those leaves are too wide for intrique.

• passion_for_flowers
    16 years ago

I am glad your mystery canna finally bloom for you. It is always wonderful when they bloom. My vote is still for Red King Humbert. Karchesky Canna..describes Red King Humbert as "Large heads of deep orange flowers with deep red buds and stems above large deep maroon green leaves. Excellent foliage and flower canna. Possible historic canna. Tall height." But whatever it is it is very beautiful.
    Now I have a question for all of you that posted a photo on the page, how did you do that? I only know how to post a link and there has been times that I would like to post a photo right to the page. Any help?

• southlatropical
    16 years ago

Go to photobucket.com and open a free account. Once a photo is uploaded an html code can be copied from photobucket and pasted in your post on forums that support this feature. Here is a picture of a hummingbird moth.
    {{gwi:535435}}
    {{gwi:535436}}

• Tracy Brant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Seems too short for Intrigue, and the flowers are smaller, if similar in shape. Red King Humbert looks redder and has larger flowers, too

I'm thinking it is probably indica purpurea - which can vary between red and orange. The leaves look right, and the flower shape and size.

I am enjoying it no matter what it's called!

Passion, I do exactly what SouthLA said - I have a free Photobucket account and I paste the HTML code they give you when you load a photo.

• west_texas_peg
    16 years ago

Could it be Indian Shot 'Red Stripe' (Canna indica)?

I have a canna that was my mother-in-law's...it looks exactly like this...blooms, foliage and seed pods. Grows about 5 to 6 feet tall in full sun...not much water...we had a lot of rain first of growing season but not much since. I started with one plant in 2003 and now have 20 or more.

Peggy

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/03072.html
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37157/index.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Stripe Canna

• marquest
    16 years ago

Yes you are right the leave do not look like intigue but the flower is so small for Red King I have that one.

• Tracy Brant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You could be right, Peggy. I was reading about some confusion between what people call "Canna indica purpurea" and Canna indica 'Red Stripe'. Someone thought that Red Stipe was just purpurea named, so a nursery could sell it with a label on it.

Mine is not "very tall" - only about 5 feet on the tallest stalk.

Here's some more developed flowering:
    {{gwi:535437}}

• nucci60
    16 years ago

looks just like southlatropicals canna.small flowers. wyoming has much bigger flowers. good to grow gor it's foliage though. congrats, you are now hooked on cannas.enjoy the ride!

• nyssaman
    16 years ago

I have the exact same one - the foilage is the attribute on the one I have not the flower - it is pushing 7 - 8 feet in a pot in part sun - I was impressed with its very wide leaves - they are huge the flower stalk is over a foot long and the flower is small and orangy red.

• Tracy Brant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The flowers may be small, but when I went out back this morning, there was a hummingbird flying around them! I've never gotten a hummer to my yard before - I live in the city and there may not often be enough flowering to support them.

It was so cute. I was afraid to move to get my camera. It sat on the clothesline and flew around the yard looking for other flowers - I have to plant more stuff for hummingbirds! What an unexpected treat.

• passion_for_flowers
    16 years ago

matriarchy, congraduations on seeing your first hummingbird in your yard. I saw one two summers ago in mine, but haven't seen one since.
    Southlatropical, thanks for letting me know about pasting the HTML. I can't get too close to my Red King flower heads they are about 7 feet in the air now but I did try and get a few here is one.

{{gwi:535438}}

I have my photos loaded at imageevent so I was able to copy the HTML from there.

• southlatropical
    16 years ago

Great picture!

matriartry, hummingbirds love those small red flowers. There is one that has nested in a tree about 30 feet from my Russian Reds and Musafolia (Which make an identical flower). The hummingbird actually buzzed by my head one day while I was messing with the cannas. They are very territorial. It feeds on them a few times a day.