{{gwi:535445}}

{{gwi:535446}}

{{gwi:535448}}

{{gwi:535449}}

{{gwi:535450}}

Comments (5)

• canna2grow
    14 years ago

You have created quite a tropical garden and I would urge members to click on any of his photos and take a sideshow of what he has created. I am interested in knowing if you are able to purchase the "Styrofoam huts" that you are using for winter protection of some of your tropicalÂs? In the past, I have recommended using insulated or styro containers to store cannas in severe winter areas with the light added for heat. Do you need to add a thermostat to prevent excessive heat in mild weather? I assume you dig and store your cannas some other way.
    Impressive,
    Kent

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Kent. I'm sorry the pictures are so blurry. They were digital images converted from film at Walmart. Usually they do a good job, but not this time. All of the Styrofoam huts that I use for my palms I build from scratch. I don't worry about heat build up. They've done fine for over 16 years. Unfortunately, I must dig all of my cannas in the Fall and store them in my basement. I can't complain about the cannas, however. I sell at least 800 rhizomes to a local nursery each year.

• canna2grow
    14 years ago

As you can tell, I was impressed with the effort and results you have achieved in your cold zone. Could you possible list the cultivar names of the cannas you are growing? I am particularly interested in the rose-pink dark leaf. Have you added to your collection over the years and could you list the ones that have proven to be most adaptable for your area. Have you had any that fail? Do you start your cannas indoors or are they direct planted to their beds?
    Kent

• marquest
    14 years ago

I am impressed. You have done a remarkable job with the weather you have to deal with. That is simply beautiful.

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks canna2grow. I have about 30 different cultivars and they all do well in our Utah sunshine. I wish I knew the rose-pink dark leafed variety. I thought it was called "Tropical Rose", but someone told me that this was not the correct flower for this name, so I'm not sure. Some of my favorites cultivars are: Canna musafolia, Dark knight, Australis, Stadt Fellbach, "Tropical Rose", China Doll, President, Maudie Malcolm, Striped Beauty, Tropical Red, Tropicana.... the list goes on and on! I plant all of the cannas directly in the ground each Spring. No room to start them indoors. My indoors is full of tropical plants. Thanks marquest. I have a son in Pittsburgh that we visit now and then. I'm not sure where you are in PA, but I wish we had a milder climate like Pittsburgh, with ample rain.

Kevin

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?