Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stuttgard as houseplant?

Posted by nucci60 6 Ma. (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 07 at 13:08

Has anyone tried this in the winter? I hate to put mine into dormancy for fear it won't "wake up".Would stuttgard be anymore difficult to store than other cannas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stuttgard as houseplant?

I do not put any of my cannas totally to sleep since I grow most of mine in pots.

I bring them in before the frost get them. In my area that is usually about Oct. I keep them all in the laundry room at temps of 50-60 degrees all winter. I give them 1/2 cup of water once a month just enough so they do not dry up.

They do not grow and some of the leaves die down. But in March they start sending up new leaves. There is very little light in my laundry room the only light they get is from two glass block windows. Some how they know Spring is arriving and start to wake up. I put them out in May.

o

thats good news marquest. do you divide them or pot them up larger in the spring? Most of my canna are in the ground, but my two stuttgards and my new canna bird of paradise from brians botanicals are potted and about six feet now.I wish I could post pictures because the BOP is the most awesome looking canna I have ever seen with long, very narrow, bluish leaves that looks like a bird of paradise.

o

I divide and repot in the Spring. By just moving them in for the winter undisturbed I have never lost a canna in 6 years.

o

Nucci60-

Marquest is correct. I never divide or clean mine up in the fall. I have not lost a canna in years.

Be careful though. It's really easy to rot the rhizomes if you try to keep it as a "houseplant" in winter. It's almost impossible make them grow like this in winter. Much better off dormant and undisturbed.

And the Stuttgardt have very long ropelike rhizomes, so be careful when you dig them up.

good luck with your cannas!
Boca Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here