Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan32877

Is it too late to plant Cannas?

susan32877
13 years ago

My husband's uncle was diagnosed with cancer this spring and never got his cannas in the ground. Some have shriveled and died, but others have sprouts on them. I told him I thought we should plant them anyway (we're in central jersey). They won't bloom, but I hope they will get enough from the ground to be able to dig and overwinter them for next year. What do you think?

Comments (3)

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    13 years ago

I would plant them. What have you got to lose? At least if you plant them you may be able to keep them alive.

Linda

• debbiecz3
    13 years ago

Have you consider planting them in pots? You could bring them in this way and keep them growing as house plants if you have a good sunny spot for them and then later store them if you wish to start up again next spring.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I think you can. I just bought some cannas and the stalks died to the ground and it is starting to grow now from the ground. I have it in a pot so I can bring it in and I think I might keep it growing over the winter because I want it to have a good start next spring. I hope they all do well!
    Good luck!
    -Alex

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor