Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romando_gw

why don't they bloom?

romando
17 years ago

I have to admit, I'm not even a huge canna lover. But I want the ones I have to bloom! My sister dug some from her backyard for me a couple of years ago. For what it's worth, she is zone 9a, and I am zone 9b/10a (not too much different, except that she gets routine freezes in the winter and gets much hotter in the summer, and my climate is pretty much between 50 and 75 yearround). She doesn't know what variety they are specifically; they were there already when she bought the house. They are quite tall (like 6 feet or more) and have red blooms. Anyway, I planted them in a wine barrel about 2 years ago, and while I get foliage about a foot tall, I get no blooms. They eventually get chewed by some insect critter and look crappy, so I hack them down, and then in the spring they start growing again. They're currently about a foot tall again, and looking quite healthy (no holes or discoloring) but we're heading into fall now...

I have other things in the barrel which are growing and blooming quite well. Any suggestions?

Amanda 'romando'

Comments (4)