Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irish_rose_grower

Which are the 'cannas' to have?

irish_rose_grower
18 years ago

Hi. I'm new to Canna growing and have been reading over some posts here.

From what are read there are cannas and then there are the cannas to have.

Which ones have the biggest pretties flowers? I have 2 so far, not sure of the names.

Thanks,

Maureen

Comments (7)

• keithrnjd
    18 years ago

I like Intrigue for its foliage, burgundy with tinges of green. Constitution I like for both the flowers and the foliage and Wyoming for the deep red flowers. I also like Indian Shot for the foliage, which is a mixture of green and burgundy, too. Stuttgart have nice varigated foliage.

Sally

• Mikey
    18 years ago

It all depends on what your individual taste is in color of flowers and foliage. For example, I don't like pink or white flowers and I would therefore not recommend them. I suggest looking at the flowers/foliage on a site such as the site below. - Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Canna Photos

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I like the the species-like cannas: Canna x iridiflora 'Ehemannii', Canna 'Robert Kent' (or a similar name), whatever Yucca Do has on offer, Canna 'Erebus'.

• samiamvt
    18 years ago

Admittedly, orange flowers are not for everyone, but you simply must have Canna 'Pretoria' (aka 'Bengal Tiger) for the gorgeous foliage! It's my number one Canna. Though I think that I think of them as foliage plants anyway.

'Cleopatra' is interesting too. It's leaves are purplish and green, sort of swirled. If the flowers come from the green side they are yellow. If they come from the purple side, they are red. A conversation piece at the very least.

I'm sure you will enjoy whichever Cannas you choose!
    Sam

PS. Plant Delights Nursery has a fun and informative
    webite, with lots of Cannas as well as other "plants with an attitude".

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Delights Nursery

• skygardening
    18 years ago

Also you might want to decide on some by height, depending on where you are putting them in your garden.

• marquest
    18 years ago

Intrigue, Tall 6' purple leaves and stately appearance
    Bengel Tiger - Yep the pretty leaves
    Tropicanna - Grown in good fertilized soil the colors are simply beautiful
    Stuggart - Again you cannot beat the leaves
    Cleopatra - Varigation and a big colorful flower
    Tropical Sunrise - Pretty peachy colored blooms.

I grow most of the Cannas for the leaves. The flowers are usually not that impressive IMO.

• BigNiko
    18 years ago

I too grow Cannas for the foliage rather than the flowers, which always look like untidy Gladioli to me.
    For the huge foliage I love Canna Musifolia, 7-8 feet high in the UK and unlikely to flower. I also overwinter Canna Indica at 5-6 degrees C minimum, which keeps them green and alive, so that they too grow to 6-7 feet the next year, with large leaves but no flowers. This winter I will be trying Tropicana, as their leaves are much more interesting. A new overwintering house is coming on stream "real soon now", Ive poured the concrete base, so there might be room to try overwintering the Musifolia. Heaven knows how tall that will get if I succeed.
    Nik