Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geekgranny

Suggestions: Full Sun Variegated

geekgranny
18 years ago

Hello all, I've been GW member for a while but this is my first post in Cannas.

I'm z8a, on the very rocky, alkaline, escarptment sw of Dallas, altitude close to 700ft. I currently do all my plants in containers; lots!! and many tropicals which go into one of several greenhouses in winter. I just purchased my first Cannas a couple of weeks ago, Tropicanna, and they are doing great in containers, full sun, near my pool.

For next year I'm tackling my front yard which has nothing but grassy weeds (as a result of killing all the SA a few years ago to plant [failed] buffalo grass; that's okay, though, because we are not visible to road and it keeps the mud down in winter with a herd of large and Giant dogs tromping around.... until I can figure out with what, and afford to replace "grassy weeds")

BTW... I'm starting lasagna beds in many areas but don't plan on digging holes for plants for at least a year or so.

Anyway, I have an 8 ft, off white, wood fence that separates my fenced immediate front yard, mostly cleared and sunny, from my mostly shaded "car yard" (we really have no front or back or side yards as we are in deep woods with views from all sides; what I call the front is what you see when you drive up to house.)

Along the fence where I want to do "landscaping" is about 25 ft in length. Right now on the car yard side I have 5 huge Texas Star Hibiscus that receive full sun most of day. For next year I'm moving them to other side of fence so they show when you drive up. They will get full sun from early morning until late afternoon. The TS Hibs are pretty full but light colored fencing does show through. What I want to plant in front of them is variegated, with white, Cannas to especially fill in at the bottoms where the TS Hibs tend to thin out as summer progresses. The Cannas probably need to stay at or near 5.5 ft leaf height, fully mature. Probably any color flower would work with the bright red Hibs. They will be planted in 1/2 wiskey barrels AND need to take the FULL Texas SUN, all day until late afternoon.

I would surely appreciate suggestions as to what, in your experience and/or knowledge, would be able to flourish in our brutal sun and is variegated. Soil and watering is not a concern as they will be in containers, with soil that I put together, and on very managed drip and/or hand watering when needed.

Thanks so very much, geekgranny

Comments (6)

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Bengal Tiger (aka. Pretoria) is one that comes immediately to mind. Also, Striped Beauty. Stuttgart is a very nice variegate, but not recommended for full sun. I have witnessed it growing in the full sun, but I have yet to try it.

Rebecca

• username_5
    18 years ago

I have read, but don't know for certain if it works, that using epsom salt on stutgart helps prevent the white parts from sunscalding in full sun situations. Then again I have heard no end of claims for epsom salt so take this with a grain of umm... salt! ;-)

• geekgranny
    Original Author
    18 years ago

cannahavana, Thanks. Looking at PlantDelights site two are potentials; the Bengal Tiger and the Canna 'Minerva' (Yellow Flowered Variegated Canna). Neither have white variegation but that might be asking too much.

username_5, Thanks, too. Of course Stutgart is exactly perfect except for the sun sensitivity. I would love to put Stugarts there. Our sun and heat is so very brutal. Many plants labeled "full sun" burn to a crisp here. Occasionally a plant will burn up but survive and then put on new leaves that are more tolerant. Some banannas are examples. I have placed my Brugs with morning sun until just before noon on the edge of tree line. They seem to be quite happy there. Some of my banannas are actually under trees with no direct sun except for very early morning and doing quite well.

I guess I could experiment and try one Stugart just for the heck of it but it's really going to hurt to see it burn up.

I'd really like to hear from someone who has conditioned their Stugart sucessfully for blazing sun. I'm sure many people would be interested too.

Thanks, geekgranny

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Yes, Minerva (aka. Striped Beauty, Christ Light, Nirvana etc). Don't you just love the multiple names! It is rather nerve racking to remember all of the synonyms. Bengal Tiger is really nice, one of my favorites for foliage. Another good one for foliage is Red Stripe. Mine is around 8ft tall and have yet to stop growing and bloom.

Now I have also 'heard' that if Stuttgart gets enough water in the full sun, they will not burn (not sure about TX :). PDN is a great place to buy, but if you are lucky you may find some for trade. That is how I got mine.

Good Luck!
    Rebecca

• geekgranny
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks cannahavana, I just checked out red stripe at GD. Pretty and possibility for other location.

Sitting outside yesterday sizing up the TX Hibs .... I think a variegation with some yellow in it will be best. With the sun on the Hibs there is much "yellow" in the overall affect from sunlight.

Question: When places list the height as for example 72" is that leaf height or height at which flowers reach? For the area in question with Hibs as backside plants, the Hibs are about 8' tall at tops but flowers start at about 3' and go all the way up (TS Hibs get sparcer as season progresses). I need canna leaves to top out at about 5'-5 1/2' or 6' max for this location. (The Hibs will probably be even taller next year as this is their second summer but don't want to plan around them being taller.)

At Plant Delights:

Bengal Tiger is listed as 72" - (leaves .. grow to 6' and are topped in summer with bright orange flowers..)

Mactro 50" - (foliage makes a sturdy 4-5' tall clump .. topped .. with flower spikes..)

Minerva 60" - ('Minerva' makes a 5' tall stalk .. topped off with unique red flower buds)

Does this look like the listed height is to be assumed to be the height of leaves (under "normal" growing conditions)?

As far as swapping.. I really don't have anything to swap in the near future. In late Oct. I'll be letting some of the Hardy Hibs set seeds and may have some Datura seeds if my new babies have time before winter. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Brugs, i.e, move to GH for winter or chop down and root cuttings. In Jan I'll do first major prunning on Tropical Hibs but it will take them a while to root. The three Tropicannas (my first cannas ever) I got a couple of weeks ago are putting out bunches of off-shoots really fast but I'm unsure what my plans are for them.

Another question: If I ordered a few Cannas from PD now could I grow them all winter in heated GH and expect them to multiply over winter? That surely would be the least expensive way to fill up the beds.

Thanks for all the help, geekgranny

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Hi geekgranny,

Your first question on height, my answer would be depending on the conditions that the canna grow in would determine the height. I have my Bengal Tiger in part sun and has only grown to 4ft this year. Also I have had a rather dry summer too. Fertilization probably factors in also. I think it is the height of the foliage that are reported in catalogs.

Your answer to the second question is yes you can grow them in the GH and they should continue to multiply. Last fall I received canna 'Aida' in trade and it was too late to plant and get established before first frost. I kept it in the house in front of a west facing french door and it continued to grow and multiply. I even got a few blooms.

HTH,
    Rebecca

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource