Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joytosew

Story and ?'s about my Cannas

joytosew
16 years ago

I am pretty much a newb when it comes to plants. However, in late may I was wondering around a greenhouse and saw the most beautiful leaves! Anything with leaves like this must be a beautiful flower I thought. I purchased 2 of them called Yellow King Humbert.

Planting: well, I dunno anything other then what the card said. So, I built me a layered bed on the south side of the house and plunked the poor things in the ground. "I don't think they will grow, but the leaves sure are pretty" (I told my hubby).

Now it is late August, and I don't know where they came from but from the 2 I purchased I now have 22 beautiful cannas.

I now have the threat of fall and soon winter and have been trying to figure out what to do with everything. I just can't leave them out there!

Answer: greenhouse in my basement!

Now the questions. Do I have this many cannas because mine seed?,

If they seed should I just find the seeds and bring them in to pot up?

I so much want to bring in a couple of my cannas to pot for my greenhouse (this would be so beautiful). However, will they grow successfully under lights?

I will have some sun light, as the basement door opens on the south side of the house and hubby is putting up a glass enclosure over the basement door like an attached greenhouse with doors to the outside.

I was reading about the dividing of the cannas and I don't understand the cutting of the eyes to divide? Is there a diagram somewhere that shows a plant with the different parts to help?

I know it is a lot to ask, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm