Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New here, and to canna's

Posted by fatbaldguy SW Ohio 5/6(?) (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 07 at 17:53

I was given a few rhizomes last year and the results were good. I took a bit more time with soil preparation this year and the results are spectacular.

I don't know what variety I have, nor do I have the technical ability to post a photo.

The are around six feet tall, large green foliage, and upright, slightly curved scarlet blossoms.

I'm bitten by the bug. I've constructed a longitudinal bed (3x8) in total day long sun. I used 36 cubic feet of compost, and covered that with around 50 cubic feet of horse manure and bedding that is wood chips. This bed is being kept moist, even in this dry weather. I'll be adding some 'topsoil' a bit later in the season.

In the spring, I'll be planting my current ones plus some Black Knight, Richard Wallace, Tangelo, and Miss Oklahoma. These will be purchased from Horn.

I love watching the hummers come in to feed on these.

The intention is for the bed to grow a few feet in either direction every year.

When I have some decent stock, I'll be looking to trade.

I wish I could afford some of the Karchesky varieties, wow, are they stunning.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New here, and to canna's

Welcome to the obsession. I am not really excited about most of the flowers but the ones with the gorgeous leaves are my favorite. I have Tropicanna, Bengal Tiger, Pink Sunburst, Intrigue, Stuttgart.

One with beautiful leaves and a pretty flower is Cleopatra. It has a beautiful purple stripe down the leaves and the flowers are big yellow and red.

The green leave Cannas that do not have impressive flowers I plant them with other tropicals that have pretty flowers. Like Dahalias,glads and annual flowers.

You are going to love these plants.

o

Welcome to an obsession, FBG! I just joined it a few years ago and love the plants! But I am in deep trouble now because I have discovered Karchesky and bought a couple from them this year......along with a couple of brugmansia. I'm doomed.

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 27, 07 at 16:57

Fatbaldguy, Do your canna look like this?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
If so, it's Robert Kemp. It seems to be the most common canna in Ohio.

o

Thank you whip1. That is exactly what I have. The hummingbirds seem to enjoy them very much.

I'm really looking forward to growing different varieties.

On a whim I purchsed an insect eaten, semi-dried out bronze leaved plant at a local Home Depot (call it pity, and a hefty discount). No ID for the plant, but it has made a remarkable recovery in my flower bed. I now have three distinct plants, but it doesn't seem to want to grow much past 2 - 2 1/2 feet. I suppose I might see a blossom next year unless the warmth holds out through late October.

I've even begun exploring where a small greenhouse might fit in or about the yard. :>0

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here