Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

Thin Australia Canna

v1rt
15 years ago

Hi folks,

I received my australia canna last week. It was like 30" tall. However, it is thin. In fact, it got bent by the wind yesterday. I'm so sad. I had to put a stake on it.

Are they really that thin? It's totally far from the thickness of my Black Knight.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• nightrider767
    15 years ago

A thin canna? Hmm, if I was going to make a geuss, I would say that that canna was grown from seed and sold to you in it's first year. I started growing canna from seed this year and have noted that seed grown canna aren't quite as vigorous and strong as rhyzome division canna.

But that's fine. I think you're doing the right thing by propping it up. If it had a nice fat canna rhyzome undernieth I would say cut it to the ground and let it put out a new stalk.

But if the canna was grown from seed, and I for one wouldn't know for sure, I think that cutting it back might kill it. So prop it up, let those leaves do their job and get the plant going strong. Sure it might look like "Charley Brown's Christmas tree", but with luck the plant will come back strong and be ready for division next year...

BTW,,, I'd also keep it in a mostly shady location till it recovers.

Good Luck!

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

My canna austrailia was a little weak when planted(this year) but did flower and secondary shoots are much stronger and plant is full and healthy now,I can post a pic if you like.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sure :D post it

Hey, I wanted to share something to you about the other topic we were talking about. I don't want to post it here. Unbelievable!

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Hey V,what topic?you can e-mail me at jimpdelaney@yahoo.com Heres the pic
    {{gwi:535987}}

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is very nice and very healthy!!! :)

How far apart did you plant the rhizome, how deep and how many? How many months did you wait to get that height?

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jim, I just sent you an email. ;)

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Got it V,these were in 1-2 gallon buckets,the first round of flowers were a little weak,or was that the tree branch that fell on it?LOL-Anyway,this is the second round of flowers,The first was around 4th of July and the second set of growth is much stronger and started blooming third weak of August or so.

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

V,I planted these around June 21 heres a pic of the little guys-gals?This may actually be the day I planted them
    {{gwi:535988}}
    And now-This is the second round of growth
    {{gwi:535987}}

• abutilon
    15 years ago

'Australia' can't be started from seed as it does not produce them.
    Cut this plant back and let it come back up. Give it a good fertilization program and water well, and it will come back and grow well for you. Gorgeous canna by the way!

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts